• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Massive Happy Hutch - question...

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
... I've e-mailed the sellers but I just wondered if anyone can help?

I'm under the impression there's meant to be a trap door - is this trap door hinged with a lock or something? If so, we haven't got it... we've got a piece of wood which has two pieces of wood on it - is this what the trap door is? And have the wood sticking up?

Also, how does it actually go on the run? Does it just sit on top?

Is it possible to get locks fitted too? As I think I may need to..

Hi:wave:

I have the same hutch and yes that piece of wood just slots in, but wont if you've got the ramp there.

and yes the hutch just sits ontop of the run. it can be screwed into place, I haven't done that because I put it up then realised I could't get where it needed to be screwed:roll: .

I would presume you could put a lock on, not tried doing that, but would make it more secure.

vikki:)

The piece of wood only fits into the ramp hole from one side, because it was cut out of the floor. So make sure you put the floor the right way round, so that the piece of wood fits in from above. I only realised that when it was too late. :oops: :lol: And some bunnies are probably capable of lifting that piece of wood, so it would be good to secure it in some way. I don't use it any more, because my bunnies are allowed in the run day and night.
I put the hutch on the run with the doors facing away from it. That way it is easier for me to clean the hutch. Is your hutch made of plywood or shiplap? Mine is made from plywood, which isn't quite as good as shiplap, and I had problems with water getting in at the bottom of the hutch. We used sealent to close the gaps, and perspex to cover the top of the lid. I also put a plastic cover over the lid, it hangs down from the back of the hutch, on hooks just under the roof overhang. That way the rain runs off to behind the run and does not drip into the run where the lid is hinged to the hutch. Hard to explain. Here's a photo of the hutch when we had just put it together:

happyhutch.jpg

Here it is "in use", and after having been painted with hutch paint:

aprilhutch.jpg

Gisela - I also put my hutch on 'back to front' which makes it much easier to clean however the rain water runs off into the run so I have to have it permanently covered with sloping tarpauline which is a bit of an eyesore. How have you got around this problem?

My square bit of wood also does not fit in the hole and now I know why!!!

I have ordered one of these. I was wondering how long it took you guys to put it together? Was it really complicated?

Gisela - I also put my hutch on 'back to front' which makes it much easier to clean however the rain water runs off into the run so I have to have it permanently covered with sloping tarpauline which is a bit of an eyesore. How have you got around this problem?

My square bit of wood also does not fit in the hole and now I know why!!!

I have perspex on top of the lid of the run and additionally sloping tarpaulin. I found one in the 99 pence shop which comes with little metal enforced holes. My bf put 3 hooks along the back of the hutch, just underneath the roof. And then some screws at the back of the run, where the other end of the tarpaulin can be fastened. So far that has kept the run rather dry, except during extreme rain. I'll probably get some wood and perspex to cover 2 or 3 sides of the run in winter, so that it is a bit more sheltered. Although my bunnies prefer to sit in the run in even the nastiest weather and only use the hutch for eating and toilet.:rolleyes: I can take a photo of the tarpaulin, if you like.

And time wise, I think it took us about 1 or 2 hours to build the hutch and run. It's easiest to put down all the peaces and think about how they will go together. Don't trust the building instructions too much, better use your own brain. Decide whether you want the hutch facing the run or the other direction, and whether you want the hole for the ramp near the hutch doors or the hutch back. .

*Thank you Grandad for being a retired joiner and building me a hutch that can be delivered in your trailer* :lol:

I have ordered one of these. I was wondering how long it took you guys to put it together? Was it really complicated?

Well we thought it was easy but we got the doors on the wrong way round, the sides are wonky to the run and now I'm told the floor's upside down :lol:

I have perspex on top of the lid of the run and additionally sloping tarpaulin. I found one in the 99 pence shop which comes with little metal enforced holes. My bf put 3 hooks along the back of the hutch, just underneath the roof. And then some screws at the back of the run, where the other end of the tarpaulin can be fastened. So far that has kept the run rather dry, except during extreme rain. I'll probably get some wood and perspex to cover 2 or 3 sides of the run in winter, so that it is a bit more sheltered. Although my bunnies prefer to sit in the run in even the nastiest weather and only use the hutch for eating and toilet.:rolleyes: I can take a photo of the tarpaulin, if you like.

If you can that would be great, thanks :)

If you can that would be great, thanks :)

Ok, it looks as if it may brighten up soon, then I can dare to take my camera outside. :D

Oh, and for the new members of this forum, who may not have seen my warning a few weeks ago:

The pice of wood that holds the ramp in place (at the top end of the ramp) is only stapled to the ramp board, and it broke off when one of my bunnies was using the ramp, causing the ramp to crash down into the run. Luckily I was in the garden at that time, and no bunny got hurt, but please make sure you add some screws to make that bit more solid.

I've removed the 2 bits of wood on the 'trap-door' added a couple of hinges and a lock, so it can be opened and closed from the bottom, rather than having to go inside.... I heard of one bunny who lifted the flap up and jumped down the hole, I like to make sure mine are safely locked in at night!:)

If you open up the top of the run, can you stand inside to clean the hutch??? I kind of assummed thats how it works. Also you need to be able to get in the run to sweep that out too don't you???:?

If you open up the top of the run, can you stand inside to clean the hutch??? I kind of assummed thats how it works. Also you need to be able to get in the run to sweep that out too don't you???:?

Yes, I do climb into the run when I have to sweep the corners, but normally a broom with a long stick is enough. I would not want to climb into the run every time I clean the hutch, though. Might get some bunnies nibbling on my trousers and feet. Plus the lid of the run is supposed to open towards the hutch, so if I stand in the run, the lid has to be open and then blocks the doors of the hutch.

Hi,

I've been looking for a new hutch for my bunnie for a few weeks now and this one looks perfect. Can anyone tell me where they got it from and also if there is a cover available to buy which it??

Thanks

Back