• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why cant I do this?!

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
When you guys take your bonded buns to the vets, do you have to book one appointment or two seperate ones?

Trip and Scarlett are both going for their myxi vacs on Saturday and I have just spent ages arguing with the receptionist on the phone :? I explained that Trip and Scarlett are a bonded pair of rabbits and will both be coming to the vets in the same carrier at the same time! So why cant they have their vaccinations at the same time :? She said its not possible because they are two seperate animals :roll: :?

I said so you want me to bring Trip who will be in the same pet carrier as Scarlett for his vaccination at 11:30 and then sit in the waiting room for half an hour waiting for my next appointment so Scarlett can have her injection, and she said yes :evil: :? It doesnt take them long to give a vaccination!!

I just want to get them straight home once they have had them :( I dont want Trip sat in a strange room with dogs barking for half an hour after having his jab :(

And I even said I will pay for two appointments even if they can just have their jabs together, but no :roll:

i would ring and ask to speak to the practice manager, that sounds a bit unfair to me. threaten to take your business elsewhere, after all sounds like it could be best for the buns anyway.

:shock: OMG, how ridiculous is that?! Definitely complain, what a waste of everyone's time!

Its taken so long to find a vet that has a good enough knowledge of rabbits though. Anyway I cant see that bothering them as they own most of the vets here and the ones they dont arent much better when it comes to bunnies :roll:

Do you know what really annoys me though is that I know you dont need two seperate appointments because I have taken my cat in with Buu before and they have been checked over and given their jabs in the same appointment but she didnt seem to believe me :shock:

It was exactly the same with her spay too. I said I wanted Trip to go in with her and the receptionist said oh no we dont do that :? I said well I know you have the option on your admission forms for rabbits and gp's to come in with a friend because I had my other girl in last week being spayed and I assume you havent changed it since then. And she was like no we dont allow it :shock: So I said can I speak to the manager and all of a sudden she remembered without looking at the form or anything that they do allow rabbits to bring another bunny in with them for spays :?

Im just really annoyed. What should have been a 2 minute phone call to make an appointment ended up taking about 20 minutes! The amount of complaints I have made now is ridiculous, but I will be making another one :roll:

Hmm, vet receptionists, I really dislike the one at ours and imagine the silly cow would make me do the same, I e-mailed the practice director and told him about her and he has apparently spoken to them about the way I was dealt with when Charlie had GI stasis. Call back and ask to speak to someone else or ask her to speak to someone else and call you back. The receptionists back home are all actually vet nurses so never have problems with them.

It takes a couple of mins to give jabs thats so stupid, are the appointments joint together or is someone else seeing the vet inbetween?

I'm so lucky that my vet receptionist is so good... make life so much easier!!! I had 5 rabbits vacced at once - took a fair old while cos of the bunny MOT, but she had booked me a few slots, so went really smoothly :D

Thing is there are 4 receptionists in total and they are all like that. One of them was even rude enough to say when she was playing with a dog that was in 'oh look there is your dinner over there, wouldnt you just love to eat that little rabbit all up, aw go and get the rabbit....' :? I was like excuse me I think im paying to be here just like they are so maybe you shouldnt make comments like that about my pets :roll:

They were rude even before I made any complaints about them though, they were giving out incorrect advice about rabbits and when I tried correcting them nicely they were like oh what do you know. So I asked the vet to correct them which he did. I wasnt doing it to be mean I was just concerned that some people wouldnt question what they were being told at a vet and the advice might have put their rabbits at risk.

There is someone else in between because they are the only appointments they had left.

I've taken four bunnies to the vets together. When Oscar and Benjamin needed their myxi booster and when Polo and Opal needed their vhd jab. I took them in two seperate carriers. I think i was only charged one consultation fee too. Even if only one bunny is poorly (like when Opal had a runny eye), i always take the other ibonded bunny in for company. They dont mind at all.

Sounds a bit silly to me, have you spoken to any other receptionists or asked to speak to the vet?

Thing is there are 4 receptionists in total and they are all like that. One of them was even rude enough to say when she was playing with a dog that was in 'oh look there is your dinner over there, wouldnt you just love to eat that little rabbit all up, aw go and get the rabbit....' :? I was like excuse me I think im paying to be here just like they are so maybe you shouldnt make comments like that about my pets :roll:

They were rude even before I made any complaints about them though, they were giving out incorrect advice about rabbits and when I tried correcting them nicely they were like oh what do you know. So I asked the vet to correct them which he did. I wasnt doing it to be mean I was just concerned that some people wouldnt question what they were being told at a vet and the advice might have put their rabbits at risk.

There is someone else in between because they are the only appointments they had left.

I cant believe she said that! Thats appalling. They sound like right idiots! Your vet doesnt sound too bad though, could you not ask to speak to him about it.

I'm assuming the slot is a half hour one so leaves plenty of time to do two bunnies, I bet you feel like giving her a slap, they sound so much like the one at our vets- she gets my back up before I even go in there.

They have no problems with Scarlett going in with Trip for his appointment, they always go in together if one needs to, she just cant be seen by the vet in the same appointment because she is a seperate animal :roll:

I spoke to both the receptionists that were on today and there wasnt a vet free to talk to me on the phone. I will say something on saturday though.

That is really silly. Are you seeing the vet who you have seen and spoken to before? If so and if they are the only appointments I would take them as planned as I'd imagine that if they are in the same carrier and having the same injection the vet would see it is stupid and probably just do them together anyway. You could then mention how silly you thought the receptionist was etc :)

i've taken my 5 for vaccs all at the same time does take a while but sounds totally unreasonable to have to get one sorted and then wait for another appointment to take another

I cant believe she said that! Thats appalling. They sound like right idiots! Your vet doesnt sound too bad though, could you not ask to speak to him about it.

The actual vet is very good and great with the bunnies, its taken ages to find him so im not moving now :lol: He wasnt happy with them when I had the receptionists call him out to explain to them why you do not starve a rabbit before an operation and said they did know because he has had the same conversation with them before after someone made a complaint when there rabbit died during a spay :( :roll:

I will be having a word with him again though

That is really silly. Are you seeing the vet who you have seen and spoken to before? If so and if they are the only appointments I would take them as planned as I'd imagine that if they are in the same carrier and having the same injection the vet would see it is stupid and probably just do them together anyway. You could then mention how silly you thought the receptionist was etc :)

Trip is booked in with the vet I usually see, Scarlett isnt because he only had one appointment available. I am going to ask him to do both because knowing my luck Scarletts appointment will be booked with the vet who is allergic to rabbits, I must have been booked in with him about 6 times now since it was added to my notes that I do not want to see a vet who cannot touch my animals :roll: :?

Wow, I'm so glad my vets are nice. I just say I want to bring my two rabbits in for jabs and they just book them in.

I've taken lots before e.g. I want to bring in two rabbits and half a dozen rats :lol: in that case they'd just give two appointments next to each other.

You vets sound :?

I would just book the one appointment... take them both in and when you get in - say I would liek them both to have their jabs please!
Thankfully i don't have that problem as my two are automatically booked in together. In fact when I took Bournville along to keep DFloss comapany when she was poorly the vet checked him as well (no cahrge). I'd be tempted to do as Snowflakes mummy says!!

We've taken NINE twice for myx and vhd, pre-arranged for 7.30ish after our vet had seen his last booked patient, it was a conveyor belt situation.
As for your receptionist telling a dog "this is your dinner" I'd be tempted to bring a tiger in and repeat the same statement to the tiger (trying to make light of it, if I told you what I'm really thinking, I'd be banned from the forum for inciting violence :D ).

Neil

Back