• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carpet in hutch

Hellabelle

Young Bun
Although my rabbit doesn't spend THAT much time in her outdoor hutch, when she does she pushes all of the sawdust into one corner and likes to lie on the bare wood. At the minute, we're waiting for my grand-dad to finish a bigger hutch for her because she's getting a bit big for the one she has, and the one we have is starting to fall to pieces!

I didn't mind her lying on the bare wood beforehand, but like I said, the hutch is starting to become a bit worn and the wood underneath I would say is unsuitable without some sort of litter on top in places like the corner where she does her business and where the water bottle drips and makes it damp (I've tried using a litter tray and she just pushes it away!)

So I thought maybe a piece of carpet might keep her happier, she won't have litter to push away (although I did still use sawdust etc in the litter corner). She seems to like it, lies on it nicely, but she's starting to either chew or dig away the edges because the carpet is getting smaller haha!!! Now I had a look and I think its just digging and pulling it away because the little bits are everywhere...

I just want to know is it safe for her to be doing this? If not I can go back to what I was using before, its not a problem - there's a new hutch on the way anyway.

Btw, she seems to be pooing/weeing etc as normal and eating and drinking normally - so its not that Ive noticed anything going wrong! Just I wondered if it was actually safe for her to be doing this... Thanks for any help x

Back