• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

preparing playhouse for bunnies

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
ok, so the playhouse isn't even up yet, nor is the spot in the garden where it is going :roll: Nor will the bunnies actually be in it until about oct/nov...BUT! I do like to to gather up information and plan way before the time so here goes!

I have bought a 2nd hand wooden playhouse for the bunnies :) which is 6x4. It is one with 2 windows and a door (always useful :lol: )at the front and a veranda. Part of the veranda is going because we have a drain in the way.

What do I need to line the floor with? do I just need some lino? And then do you normally cover it with some newspaper?

And I won't be having a hutch in there my one is way too big and I would prefer to have something else in there for them to sleep in. Any ideas?

Hoping to get a shelf in there too, I think its 'Rabsville' that I've seen on here thats given me inspiration!

Hi,

I have a converted 6x4 shed, so may be able to help a little. I have the floor lined with Lino, and then i have a litter tray filled with litter. I have a hay rack above the litter tray so that madam can munch away while she poops :lol:

For somewhere to sleep, i bought a fabric dog travel crate and have filled it with lots of hay. It was filled with blankets, but she decided they were better for peeing on rather than sleeping on :lol:

She has a shelf which has a cat pyramid bed on but to be honest ive not seen her use it yet.

I have a 6x4 shed and I put lino on the floor but I also lined the shed with wire mesh to stop them chewing. When I put the lino down I run it up the sides about 3ins and then when I lined it with mesh it went over the lino so that there was no way they could chew the lino. (I hope this makes sense) I have built a couple of shelves now and I have 3 large trays that has their food water and hayracks in them. Sheds are so much easier to clean than hutches. i love it. Good luck.

100_0360.jpg

I've never seen in my local one, is it in the bunny section, I've seen those green plastic tube ones online but like yours. :(

Mine have vinyl flooring in their playhouse (4x4), I just cover it with newspaper and hay, it's really easy to clean out.

My lot have a shelf across the back, it's about 18 inches off the ground and about as wide. My two love sleeping on it and refuse to sleep anywhere else! I've covered it with carpet and when it gets really cold, they have vetbed and a snugglesafe too.

Tunnels are really good for them to play with because they will have the space, also straw/seagrass mats are good.

5.99!!! urgh! in my pets at home it was 7.99!lol

Can you post me one :lol: I'll have to harass the store manager to get one in for me or order one of those green plastic ones- good excuse to buy more toys when I get Jet as they are all Charlie's at the mo and he might not want to share his :lol:

I didn't cover the floor of my playhouses :)
I just put some 99p carpets down from Ikea, my rabbits are basically litter trained, only the odd poop out of place, but they never pee anywhere else :)
I got two cat tents from Ikea for them to sleep in, but Holly destroyed her's on he fist night,. I am also looking for something for them to sleep in ( maybe a nice cardbaord box ;) :lol: )
I have shelves next to the windows so they can see out and hopefully soon I will have a door way itno the run at the side :)

Can you post me one :lol: I'll have to harass the store manager to get one in for me or order one of those green plastic ones- good excuse to buy more toys when I get Jet as they are all Charlie's at the mo and he might not want to share his :lol:

Several people including me have experienced their rabbit getting trapped between the two layers of fabric in the tunnel. I wouldn't advise putting it anywhere where the bunies will be unsupervised.
I would get the green one if I were you, or get some large piping from a builders merchant :D

I have a 6x4 shed and I put lino on the floor but I also lined the shed with wire mesh to stop them chewing. When I put the lino down I run it up the sides about 3ins and then when I lined it with mesh it went over the lino so that there was no way they could chew the lino. (I hope this makes sense) I have built a couple of shelves now and I have 3 large trays that has their food water and hayracks in them. Sheds are so much easier to clean than hutches. i love it. Good luck.

100_0360.jpg

this looks lovely really smart!

Back