• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding this aft

tracyuk

Mama Doe
Ok. Well some of you may have seen my other thread
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99873
I am getting the little lady this aft and i am going to attemp bonding maybe tomorrow as I want Mimi (MY new girl) to settle.
I am going to do it in the kitchen as its mutual ground. i thought I would attache Mimi's cage to the run that Rory and Lola use but make it bigger then divide it. I have also got some new lino to put down.
Do you think this sounds ok. Rory and Lola fell in love straight away and were no trouble bonding, i am hoping for this again (I know I am asking for alot)
Would really appreciate advice from others that have bonded a single with a pair.

My trio were easy as they all had very laid back personalities and we used our kitchen too.

It depends on your new girls personality....is she speyed? If not I would certainly have that done first before attempting bonding, its one of those you need to get right first time.

I would call that rushing things :shock: It takes 2 weeks for a rabbit to settle down, not a night - she doesn't know you or the house or if she's for supper tonight, and she's already had a lot of changes. As Sooz says, she needs to be spayed first really too - I think it's a case of 'more haste, less speed' with these things unfortunately :(

Forgot to mention - you have no idea about her health or background either - she could have diseases you wouldn't want your 2 to catch, so I would quarantine her away from them for at least 2 weeks, and take her for a vet check too before introducing them.
See my advice on your initial thread about this bunny - and I'd say ignore it at your peril, but it's up to you :?
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99740

Last edited:
Ok, I understand. I am very impatiant but would not want to jeprodise the bonding process. I will give her a while before introducing them. Luckily I have a few weeks left off work so I might let her run around the house while keeping the others in their cage.
Thanks for the advice.

Must admit I would not attempt bonding straight away :?
I'd get new Bun health checked first and as Elve said allow her a couple of weeks to settle in

Janex

Oh, Elve & Jane, you beat me too it....I just suddenly thought QUARANTINE, but never fear your here!

Ok, I understand. I am very impatiant but would not want to jeprodise the bonding process. I will give her a while before introducing them. Luckily I have a few weeks left off work so I might let her run around the house while keeping the others in their cage.
Thanks for the advice.

If you let her run around the house then you will need to keep the area you intend to use for bonding out of bounds to her. Otherwise it wont be neutral territory, it'll be hers!! ;)

Janex

In your first thread about this bunny (I just added a link above in an edit) you said you would keep her in a hutch outside? Only she will make your existing pair fight - have a re-read of the advice I gave you - it would be awful if a kind act blew up in your face by making your existing pair fall out, or worse still, infecting them with disease.

Hiya Tracy :wave:

Good luck with your new bun, I hope she's everything you expect :).

I'd get her to your vet to be checked out before putting them anywhere near your rabbits, incase she's carrying anything which may make them poorly. As you're probably aware, having a rabbit spayed/neutered can help improve a rabbits behaviour... with her age, and with her not being spayed yet, I would bet that she's probably a bit frisky... which I'm sure wouldn't stand well with your other too.

Holding back the bonding process also helps you observe on the kind of rabbit she is, she may not want to be bonded with other rabbits and may happily live on her own with lots of human contact.

Good luck with this.

Lou x

I completley understand what you are all saying and I am really worried now. I dont know what to do for the best. I would be devestated if my two fell out but cant stop thinking about this other bun. I am so confused now.

You need to bare in mind that it may not be possible to bond your buns with the one you're getting this afternoon... it is always a possibility, and I'd much rather have that than making the 2 bunnies you have unhappy. Would you be in a position to have this rabbit as a single bun away from the 2 you have?

Of course, this is probably stepping the mark a bit, but quarantine is definately needed before this rabbit goes near your own... I should imagine this is a routine all rescue centres have to adhere to so that there other buns are protected. And, as you know by reading threads on here, bonding isn't that simple... especially if you have 2 bonded bunnies already... but there's nothing to say that eventually you wont be able to bond all three :D

If I took her straight to the vet how would he check her health?
What would he be looking for?

Some vet practices (I know mine does) offer a free health check for bunnies... otherwise it'll be the simple consultation price. The vet will know exactly what they're looking for - teeth, checking the stomach, quality of coat, in the ears for mites, nails etc etc... and looking for the onset of many other rabbit problems.

It's a good thing to do when you take on any new rabbit, to ensure they're of good health - and to spot any possible problems.

Oh right - I assumed a hutch was outside :( I said on yesterdays thread you would also need to change your clothes after handling her - even if she was outside as I assumed. Another lady on here has just had to split a bonded pair as the smell from a female she's fostering made them fight - female's indoors and her rabbits were outside.

Is it a hutch that could go outside or isn't it waterproof?

I am going to see if they will let me have their outdoor hutch, I will be able to keep her outside for a few weeks, my garden is a state but I might be able to clean up a corner for her so she can get some exercise (Which is more than she gets now) Do you think the vet will charge me much for a check up. My other two are booked in next week( after pay day) for their jabs and would have her done then too.

If you can transport it, definitely get her hutch off her, although she might want £10 for it - It will stop her getting another rabbit too! You'd better ring and check first though.

The vet surgerys around here all charge around £20 for a consultation... which would cover the cost of an examination. If the bunny needs anything, that'll be charged seperately. It's well worth it I think.

It's worth checking if they offer free rabbit assessments for new bunnies... as, like I said previously, my vet does.

Back