• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thank heavens for RU!

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
Last night I fed my rabbits their tea and noticed that Midge wasn't eating (the little black one in my trio):(
She kept sitting on the high shelf in her shed and was lying down unusually i.e. pressing her tummy to the ground.
Thanks to all the info I've read on here the alarm bells sounded...
I tried to tempt her with all the different foods she loves (she normally eats like she's never been fed :lol: ) but she was having none of it.
I bought her up to the house to check her over, and I heard her tummy gurgle, so I started with some tummy rubs and sat her on my lap on a heat pad and then put her in the kitchen to get her moving around.
I gave her a drink and then whizzed to Morrissons for some Infacol (luckily they stay open 'til 10.00pm) gave her that and put her back with her daughters. I also gave her some Prepulsid just in case.
Thankfully at midnight she started eating, and this morning was first out of her shed for breakfast:D :D :D
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post useful advice on here in the past - those simple steps/tips may have saved Midge from going into statis - and to say keep on posting!! Even the smallest little tips help when you're faced with a problem - at least you feel like you can do something to help when you maybe can't get to the vet straight away

Just wanted to add that they had corn on the cob the day before so this may have contributed - it's the only thing I can think of, and they had it before the thread on corn started - won't be getting that again!

Last edited:
I'm really glad that Midge is eating again. :) It's so worrying isn't it? I've had rabbits for quite a few years now but only just discovered this wonderful forum. I wish I'd known about it in the past when my bunnies have had gut problems - I lost my last rabbit to gut stasis in June and it was horrendous - with all the information on here who knows if things may have turned out differently? I had never heard of using Infacol or tummy rubs before - I got him to the vet very quickly (I always do) but unfortunately I lost him after two days. :cry:

I now have a 5.5 month old female and I've learnt so much in the last couple of weeks - I'm getting together a first aid box so that I'm prepared. I've always been aware of how quickly things happen with rabbits, and having somewhere like this where you can share your worries and get some great advice with other people who care about their dear buns like you do is just fantastic. :)

I am so glad Midge is ok. Rory has the same problems and I used to panic but thanks to this forum I give him Infacol, Tummy rubs and lots of cuddles. He is usually ok after a few hours.
This forum is a great source of info.

My OH often moans at how long I spend on here browsing the advice, but after y'day I told him that the advice I picked up probably not only saved Midge lots of pain and problems, but saved us a potential small fortune in vets bills.
I just didn't have the knowledge of some of these symptoms of gut statis before, and without this site I'd have probably waited until the morning to get her to the vets, so she'd have had an uncomfortable night and would be more difficult to treat.
I was so relieved when I went down to her at 12.00am and she grabbed some greens out of my hand :D :D :D

my mum always laughs at me when i tell her stuff and she goes 'whered you get that off your forum?', but the thing is, i took penut for his yearly checkup/jabs the other day, and weirdly the vet was shocked at how healthy he was. he went 'we dont usually get rabbits in here wit such lovely teeth'. he said they usually get ones who dont get fed properly, dont have toys to chew etc. i felt proud of my little guy! but i know if i hadnt found this forum...i would obviously still love him as much, but he would still be getting corn on the cobs, wrong diet, etc etc bcus i was told by pet stores that was okay. this forum has definatly improved my bunnies lives:lol:

Back