• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is everyone's set up?

Tinkerbell's Mum

Warren Scout
Just interested in finding out what set up's people have e.g how many rabbits to what size/type of cage/run.What you use in them e.g vet bed, saw dust, what toys you have and where abouts.Just everything really :)

Hello

I have at the moment a large indoor cage 46" but have just ordered a 48" dog crate for my single house bun. I put vetbed in half the cage and then megazorb and hay in the other side with a corner litter tray. She has loads of toys her favourite is the treat ball. I also have a converted playhouse in the garden for her which she goes out in on nice days and evenings when I am at home.

Hi, I have one bunny at the moment. He's a house rabbit and although he does have a cage in a room, the cage is always open. It mainly houses his litter tray and his food and hay. He has a whole room to himself which has a network of cardboard boxes with holes cut in so it's kinda like a warren for him. He also has a chair with a towel (blanky!!) on it which is where he does most of his sleeping. When we are out his room door is closed (does have a baby gate on but he can jump over that!) but when we are in he has the run of the house. He goes out on the grass if it's nice outside (in a run) or otherwise he goes out on the patio/decking area which is safe for him.

It would be good to find out what everyone elses set up is like - maybe give each other ideas! :D

I have 11 females free range in a stable with dust free shavings and hay with apple branches, boxes, flower pots and balls. 2 males in 5ft cages with permenant runs attached. We then have 7 females in a 6x4 shed with a run joined to the front. Ive put a puppy cage inside with carpet on top so they can use it as a look out! My final two males are in 5 ft cages with a wire panel pen attached that is moved around as the grass grows/is eaten!

P1010054.jpg

single bunny in each hutch - the brick shed next to the hutches houses 4 bonded sisters :D

Shed bunnies - bare concrete floor (vetbed on it in winter) 2 big litter trays (old guinea pig cages), megazorb and hay plus constant supply of cardboard boxes and a patio chair

P1010332.jpg

P1010321.jpg

Hutch bunnies - bare floors and 2 big litter trays (underbed boxes) one upstairs and one downstairs .

P1010154.jpg

I cover the hutches with rugs at night and put the fencing around them weighted with bricks to deter cats/foxes - I hope :?

1 inside bunny = the infamous Mr Squidgy. This is his base

hutch.jpg

but he spends 16 hours a day free range with us.

Bobby and Ruby have a 9' x 6' run with two hutches inside and a bark pit. They also have a run onto the grass for supervised use.

DSCN0529.jpg

Salt and Pepper have 6' x 6' run , again with two hutches in and a bark pit, with run onto the grass.

P4140009.jpg

I use dustfreehay as both bedding in the hutches and for them to eat, they have A&P pellets (but very few now it's summer) and spring greens and carrots.
Favourite toys are willow balls and baskets, boxes of hay and plant pots filled with hay and some treats.
Wooden litter pellets covered with hay in litter trays.

Two bunnies in each hutch, although there's currently 3 buns in one but by next summer they'll have a playhouse instead. I use megazorb in the hutches topped with hay and wooden litter topped with hay in litter trays. Hutches are 6' x 2' x 2' with attatched 10' runs :)

093.jpg

I have 5 rabbits in a 6x4, three level hutch, main floor is decking, but they have a couple of rugs down... Litter trays: 1 dog bed, 1 jumbo storage box (with lid), 1 medium storage box and a large litter tray - lined with newspaper and megazorb and topped with hay. The hutch is set in a 10x10 fenced decking area, which they have access to all day.

2 rabbits in a 6x4 shed with a run at the front. the floor is lino tiles with a rug, i've put up 3 shelves for them, so they can look out of the window (which is just wire mesh)... these shelves have carpet tiles on. litter trays: 2 dog beds lined with newspaper, megazorb and topped with hay

also 2 houserabbits - they have a penned area, but the gate is never shut, so they have a lobby area and hallway to run around in. they have an old melamine cupboard, litter trays: storage box and a dog bed (filled as above) and a rug down to save the carpet!

2 guinea pigs in a 4x2 hutch attached to an 8x4 run. megazorb all over and plenty of hay in places...

foster bunnies in: 6ft hutch, 5ft, 2 tier hutch and a 48" dog crate in the front room... all get time in runs/front room.
again, rugs and litter trays filled as above.

mine is a 6 by 8 shed with a 6 by 8 run attached which they have constant access to. newspaper on the floor, hidey holes and two old plastic dog beds turned upside down for cover!
DSCN0480.jpg

DSCN1000.jpg

7 bonded buns and 6 pigs live here! :wave:

Bunnies and guinea pigs shouldn't live together. They need different food and the bunnies can seriously injure the pigs.

I have 3 bunnies, 1 indoor cage, 2 outdoor hutches and 2 runs.
The rabbits take turns in using the runs, I have to carry them from the hutch/cage every day:roll: But I'm hoping to get them attached to the runs somehow so it would be easier to move them back, espesially for Zakura, she's rahter hard to catch in the run:lol:

Could have shown pictures but Photobucket's not working (again)
I do have a picture of Aroma's cage from DA though.
http://usagi-zakura.deviantart.com/art/Aroma-s-home-59702986

two old plastic dog beds turned upside down for cover!

Superb idea!

My rabbits have practically the same set up as you. I have only just bonded them into a group of 6 and as they are loose in the shed I didn't want to be adding hutches as it just means using up space and extra cleaning! :? I had been toying with the idea of buying cat hooded litter trays for something just to give them a bit of warmth in winter but dog bed - thats even better! I have no idea why I didn't think of that as I use a large dog bed for my giants as a litter tray!!!! :roll: :lol:

thank you zakura i am well aware of all the arguments against bunnies and pigs living together, however I did not ask for anyone's opinion on this, i was merely showing my setup as requested.
Jess

:wave: i now have 3 buns.all are house buns.2 of them,dudley and moo,(dudley is a n agouti continental cross,moo is a fawn holland lop)live in our basement.it has heating and windows but it does have a concrete floor so they have a dog bed and blankets,also they have a big cage bottom(the plastic tray part)which is full of shavings and hay,another litter box,tunnels
and cardboard boxes etc.unfortunately dudley has never grasped litter trays which is why they live downstairs.when i leave the door open for them to come upstairs they very rarely do:roll:
then there is lovely lips lola(who sadly lost her beautiful bam-a-lam boy last week:cry: :cry: :cry: )she is a lop eared white/fawn.she lives in our spare room,she does have a cage in there but it is used as a litter area and where her hay and water bottle is.she has lots of cardboard tunnelling(sounds very much like jupiters set-up posted earlier)when we get in her room is open so she can go up to our room in the roof or downstairs to be with us.at night she tends to sleep with us,but,she is exceptional with her litter tray and always goes back to her room for a poop and a tiddle:D also in the spare room in cages are gilbert the guinea pig and onion the degu.

Bunnies and guinea pigs shouldn't live together. They need different food and the bunnies can seriously injure the pigs.

Zakura, although rabbits and Guinea pigs shouldn't live together, many do and quite happily.

Yes, rabbits can hurt the guineas but the main reasoning between not having them together is because rabbits are carriers of bordetella and pastuerella and whilst it may not bother them, they can pass it on to the other species and cause serious health issues.

Got pictures of the runs now.
Zakurasbinge1.jpg

Sasukesbinge2.jpg

And the hutches:
P1010001.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010003.jpg

(Zakura's cage was extremely crowded at one point since she coudln't let the litter box stay in the corner, I have now removed the house and the litter box as she wasn't using the house anyway and the box was only in the way)
They look tiny at pictures for some reason:roll: They may be a bit small but they spend a lot of time out in the runs. Also we're getting new bigger cages soon.:wave:

What great setups you all have :)

I have a house rabbit, he has total roam of the house but tend to stay in lounge where he has a large plastic recycling crate (High sides with lowqered front like a dog bed) with a woven hay mat, towel, toys, hay & newspaper for digging in. He shoves stuff around as he likes. He shares it with my kitten - she likes grass hay matting to lie on whilst he prefers towel so they have half and half!

I've then got a basket for toys which he shares with kitten. A mat is down by one wall with his basket of hay, bowls of water, pellets, herbs and leafy veg.

His got a long play tunnel (although kitten likes it more than him), a furry cat sleeping bag (bought for kitten but used by rabbit!) and a weeble dispender toy for his chopped veg (has to have it chopped due to his missing teeth so I make him work for it!)

Oh and of course his litter tray which is layers of newspaper, shredded newspaper and straw on top. Positioned by his basket of hay for him to much whilst on the bog!

Sure setup will expand and change over time as we've only been together 2 weeks. Got some great ideas from here..

mine is a 6 by 8 shed with a 6 by 8 run attached which they have constant access to. newspaper on the floor, hidey holes and two old plastic dog beds turned upside down for cover!

7 bonded buns and 6 pigs live here!

www.thecaninecatwalk.co.uk
I also have 5 guinea pigs free ranging in the stable with the 11 girlies - never had any problems whatsoever!

Back