• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 storey hutches???

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I have had a rabbit before and we had a 2 storey hutch. Many people on this forum seem to recommend them but my previous rabbit broke her back while going down the ladder. I would like a 2 storey hutch again as they could have access to a hutch permantly on concrete and have a separate run on grass for every now and then. I don't want to go through the heartbreak i had before. Is there any way to make them safer by putting a piece of wood alongside the ladder to the ground, like a bannister on stairs for example? Thanks.

Im really sorry i cant help as never had this problem, two of my bunnies are in one story hutches and the one thats in a two story doesnt even use a ladder, he just jumps up and down, ive tried him with a ladder but he kept knocking it down and throwing it away so have never given him it back.

Sounds a good idea though, hope someone else can help more xx

Awww sorry about your previous bun. Personally I'm not a fan for the reason you mention - a friend of mine's vet says she also hates them as she has seen a number of injuries ranging from broken legs to broken backs from rabbits who have stumbled on them; plus older or partially sighted rabbits find them hard to cope with.

My preference is for a hutch or other indoor accommodation (e.g. a shed or playhouse) permanently attached to a run, so the rabbits can display more natural behaviour by coming and going as they please.

we found that with another previous bun, we had a single-storey hutch with permant attached run, and they were seriously unfriendly, lunging and biting. we handled them and everything so i feel that that combination doesn't work either.

Were your previous buns neutered? I wouldn't have said the lunging and biting was anything to do with accommodation or 'rabbity' behaviour - more about hormones, general temperament, previous experiences etc.

no, i don't think they were as i come to think of it. it was at least 10 years ago. and they were both does too which probably explains that now. :roll: :roll: because we have fireworks here often, i was planning to bring them in on some nights in their hutch, but that isn't possible with a permant run is it?

Hi
I have had a rabbit before and we had a 2 storey hutch. Many people on this forum seem to recommend them but my previous rabbit broke her back while going down the ladder. I would like a 2 storey hutch again as they could have access to a hutch permantly on concrete and have a separate run on grass for every now and then. I don't want to go through the heartbreak i had before. Is there any way to make them safer by putting a piece of wood alongside the ladder to the ground, like a bannister on stairs for example? Thanks.

Depending on the hutch type, the ladder in mine is at the back, so I could attach some wire mesh between the ladder side, to the top of the run/hutch bottom to stop them falling over the side. I havent done it, but it may be something to consider when they are less agile. But since they jump up onto sofas, boxes etc etc I cant protect them from everything.

A friend of mine has just bought one of the two storey hutches and she had exactly the same thoughts about safety. She asked her husband to build some kind of bannister along the edge but he just looked at her like she was daft. Having looked at it though, I can see your point!

One of my hutches is a 6ft Happy Hutch over run, and to be honest I woudlnt buy it again if I had the choice. I'm fairly happy with the hutch but I dont like leaving buns with with access 24 hrs to the run (fox saftey) so opening and closing the trap door is a bit of a pain (even tho I've modified it to make it easier). Some of the foster buns who have used it have hated the ramp and I can see how it could be dangerous...... I'll definately be making some sort of edge to box mine in a bit. Mine have grass runs too so they do still get excercise and a change of scenery!:D

We currently have a 2 storey hutch for our bunnies and i quickly got rid of the ramp as they could easily jump up. We've just ordered a bigger 2 storey hutch and i was thinking of just putting a large plant pot or box for them to use to climb up as it will be higher than there used to. Saying that my bunnies are a bit odd and never dig but instead exist to climb, they've made it onto tables, the top of there hutches, bins, plant pots...

Could you use a cardboard tube instead? For bringing them in I'd get a fold up dog crate or pen so you don't have to move the hutch. When I bring Charlie in I just bring the pen in put vetbed down, a carrier with hay in, litter tray, food etc and hope he doesn't try and pull at it to get out :rolleyes:

Back