• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

neutering question

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Getting new bun next week and alot of you have said to wait 8 weeks after he is neutered before introducing him to my female rabbit as she is not spayed. If she is spayed how long do i have to wait then?

thanks!

I got domino neutured and then 2 weeks later introduced him to pebbles who was spayed.

But i think it depends on how long it takes for the wuond 2 heal and for the hormones to die down. Domino was neutured wayyyy before he even HAD hormones, he wasnt nippy, didnt spray or anything so that wasnt an issue. and he's wound cleared up very quickly. I think its different for every bun, but that was my experience! x

I got domino neutured and then 2 weeks later introduced him to pebbles who was spayed.

But i think it depends on how long it takes for the wuond 2 heal and for the hormones to die down. Domino was neutured wayyyy before he even HAD hormones, he wasnt nippy, didnt spray or anything so that wasnt an issue. and he's wound cleared up very quickly. I think its different for every bun, but that was my experience! x

Thanks for that, I'm hoping I can get her spayed next month but because shes a wild bun shes really small...

Don't think I could wait until Christmas :shock: I'm way too excited!:lol:

I'm interested in this thread because I want to re-unite the Mum and Dad of my litter of babies.

Beastor (Dad) was neutered 3 weeks ago. I don't want to get Ferris Wheel (Mum) spayed until she puts on a bit of condition.

I hate making them live seperately unless it's absolutely necessary. :(

Amy

Recommended by most vets seems to be 6 weeks for neutered male- unspayed female.

Spayed female and just neutered male- when healed is generally thought of as fine - about two weeks, but remember they may be hormonal so bonding could be more problematic. Audrey had been spayed a few weeks when I got Rowan, so I left it 10 days after his neuter to bond them and all went well. I guess you need to consider what a major op spaying is though, and that they really are fully healed.

I like to leave my does as long as possible after their spaying to give them plenty of time to heal internally as even bucks who have been neutered will try to mate with the doe and I don't think it is fair for the doe to have to put up with mating so soon after an op.

I would say at least 6 weeks.

Rabswood

I like to leave my does as long as possible after their spaying to give them plenty of time to heal internally as even bucks who have been neutered will try to mate with the doe and I don't think it is fair for the doe to have to put up with mating so soon after an op.

I would say at least 6 weeks.

Rabswood

Its usually the doe that does the mounting :lol:

I have done hundreds of neutered male/neutered female pairings and usually do it after 9 or 10 days, I have never had a problem doing it this soon and their behaviour is usually no different to a bunny that has been done for weeks.
For a neutered male/un-spayed female I would leave it 2 weeks.

I think it depends on the hormones in each individual rabbit. I had my young bunnies done as soon as they dropped and they went in with the girls almost straight away, but Apache is a hormonal little man so I left him longer to calm down.

The technicalities of it are that as soon as a female is spayed she is unable to get pregnant but it is advised to let her settle, recover and heal for 10days. Male bunnies can be fertile up to 6weeks after their ops so if being paired with an unspayed female best to err on the side of caution.

For a neutered male/un-spayed female I would leave it 2 weeks.

I have had a 6 week post castrate Buck impregnate THREE Does :shock: :shock:

There is absolutely no way I would put a 2 week post castrate Buck with an unspayed Doe :shock: :shock:

Janex

I have had a 6 week post castrate Buck impregnate THREE Does :shock: :shock:

There is absolutely no way I would put a 2 week post castrate Buck with an unspayed Doe :shock: :shock:

Janex

You have said that several times in the past but if thats the case where does the limit stop? :? tell people 8 weeks, 10 weeks, a year to err on the side of caution? :? My vet says 2 weeks (and he neuters a lot of bunnies on a weekly basis) and has NEVER had any complaints, the CCT recommend 2 weeks, and for a long time I have done it after 2 weeks and never yet had any problems. If the castration has been done properly a buck should not be fertile at 6 weeks, especially as he should have had his testicles removed :roll:

You have said that several times in the past but if thats the case where does the limit stop? :? tell people 8 weeks, 10 weeks, a year to err on the side of caution? :? My vet says 2 weeks (and he neuters a lot of bunnies on a weekly basis) and has NEVER had any complaints, the CCT recommend 2 weeks, and for a long time I have done it after 2 weeks and never yet had any problems. If the castration has been done properly a buck should not be fertile at 6 weeks, especially as he should have had his testicles removed :roll:

Not sure I understand the significance of the rolling eyes Cheryl :?
All I can do is say what happened in my situation. People can take it or leave it. I know I would never risk putting a 2 week post castrate Buck with an entire Doe but everyone else can make their own decision :)

Janex

please don't have a debate about this :cry: I welcome all your opinions and you are all entitled to a different one but please don't argue...:cry:

Awwww dont worry I am always happy to agree to differ ;)

Janex :wave:

Hi Jane:wave:

Thanks for your posts on this subject its been helpful :) Think I will keep them both apart until Spudsey is spayed which will hopefully be by end of sept then will hope to introduce them around the end of oct/early nov if I've got my dates right! she would have recovered by then.

don't know what your thoughts are on this...spudsey will stay as house bunny for a couple of months until I bond her, new bunny squirrel will be outside but with no run, so was going to bring him in our kitchen for a run round. do you think spudsey would be ok if he was running around in the next room at the same time she was? there is a glass door separating them. not sure what they would do?

please don't have a debate about this :cry: I welcome all your opinions and you are all entitled to a different one but please don't argue...:cry:

A healthy debate is good...we're never going to establish a common practice for this matter unless it's debated.

The last time I had the issue of recently neutered male/ unspayed female was nearly 10 years ago. At that time my vet said to leave it 2 weeks, so I did. He never even showed any inclination to mount her when I re-introduced them (they were brother and sister).

So Cheryl....do you reckon it'll be safe to leave it 4 weeks? I really don't want any more babies.

Amy

My vets also say 4 weeks. Thats not to say there isnt a risk it could happen later but Im sure if you look hard enough their will be cases of 10, 11, 12 weeks later, as some one else has said where do you draw the line?

Back