• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunnies get along well enough to share a run now. Wahey!

casu consulto

Mama Doe
They've been living in their own hutches, but facing one another since we brought Amber home a few weeks ago. As long as it wasn't absolutely throwing it down, they were outside in separate runs - but side by side - everyday from about 8am until 7:30pm, and always seemed delighted to see one another. About a week ago we let them both have 30 mins in the hallway every morning before going out, and they'd binky at each other and do very brief grooming... unless I got down there with them and we all 'groomed' each other.

But yesterday they shared a run for the first time. And they're very good. ^-^ They don't snuggle. I don't think they really have any properly established 'I'm the boss' thing going. Barney tries to mount her, but she's too fast for him. And he usually refuses to lick her head despite her constantly skipping across to ask. They're like... friends rather than husbun and wife? :D Either way, they've never been remotely aggressive with one another. And it's so much easier dragging just one run out and in again, and not having to worry if one rabbit feels hard done by because they have the grass mat in there instead of a hay roll...

Run_together.jpg

It's so nice to go out and have them both bound over. :roll: It makes me feel all special...

We've caught Barney having a sneaky groom of Amber from windows before, and given the chance she can sit for quite a while grooming him. Think they'll eventually become snuggly bunnies?

Awww that's cute :D Unless you leave them together 24/7 though I doubt they will become very close - but if you wanted them to live together you'd maybe need a bigger hutch? At least don't introduce him into her hutch - she'll be more territorial. And if his hutch is big enough for 2 then give it a thorough clean, scrub out, deodorise and paint the outside, to fool him into thinking he's never seen the place before ;)

However I think a couple of days/nights together in the hallway is best first - time to book a holiday maybe? :D

Awwwww thats great news!!! They are very cute bunnies! I agree with Elve on needing to leave them together for them to bond fully and it looks like you'll have no probs with that...!!:D Well done xxxxxx:D

The place I got their individual hutches does a double. For a very reasonable price. It's just a matter of delivery. :) It's basiclly as if their current hutches are one on top of the other.

This is the second day they've been out together, and so far I've looked out and each time they've been having big grooming sessions - which looks so sweet. Barney keeps pretending he isn't grooming her at all, and if he catches me looking he looks all embarassed and faces the other way.

when i went to adopt pebbles, domino lived alone, and for the first week and a half they lived seperatly, and put together during the day. even thought they didnt live together i saw them get closer everyday!

That sounds so sweet. I've got a single bunny at the moment but she's getting a friend in a couple of weeks and I just can't wait to see them together. It must be so lovely watching them together. :)

It really is. ^^
And they don't seem to mind going into separate hutches at night, for the moment. To be honest, Barney's very, very neat, and Amber completely trashes her hutch... I think they can get used to each others habits in the run for now, or else Barney is going to get miffed at having the hutchmate from hell. :rolleyes:

It really is. ^^
And they don't seem to mind going into separate hutches at night, for the moment. To be honest, Barney's very, very neat, and Amber completely trashes her hutch... I think they can get used to each others habits in the run for now, or else Barney is going to get miffed at having the hutchmate from hell. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping I don't have the same with Bella - she is very very clean in her cage - the cleanest bunny I've had - not a single thing outside her litter tray. When Tarquin comes I'm hoping he will be as good because she's a real madam and I can see her getting miffed. :lol:

Barney's the neatest bunny I've ever had, also. Everything has a proper place in his hutch, one toilet area... Amber, by contrast, drags straw all over, and hay, poos all over and I've only just persuaded her to pee in one place. :roll:

And yep. ^^ Amber is my lionhead girlie. I was never too fond of lionheads - as a breed - before getting her, but now I am.

Back