• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

getting new bunny next week! advice req!

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hello

Picking Squirrel up next week, bunny friend for wildie Spudsey!

Spudsey is still living in her indoor cage, Squirrel will be living in an outdoor hutch until the new accomodation is sorted, picked up a second hand playhouse for £25 (!) just needs some work doing to it.

No run attached to the hutch for Squirrel though the hutch is huge, so will be bringing him in to the kitchen for a run round. Will it be ok to put Spudsey in the lounge at the same time so they can see each other through the kitchen door? Just wondered if it would help with bonding or not?

I would imagine Spudsey will feel territorial about this, but it depends so much on individual personality. How long ago was Squirrel neutered too? They are fertile 8 weeks after neuter and can mate through cage bars ;)

Ooh new bunnies are so exciting!:D

I should think your set up will be quite a good one. Where are you thinking of doing introductions? I usually use my hall because it's neutral and it's got lots of space.

Get ready for their first glimpse of each other. It still chokes me up when I think of introducing my lot, they were just so cute :love:

There is lots of good bonding information on the Rabbit Welfare Association website on bonding. I can't seem to get on there at the moment but perhaps you'll have better luck.

Last edited:
elve- mating through cage bars?:shock: I didn't know that, that's blinking scary when I think of how long Smokey was unspayed and there are wild rabbits around.

elve- mating through cage bars?:shock: I didn't know that, that's blinking scary when I think of how long Smokey was unspayed and there are wild rabbits around.

Yeah a lady on the forum had it happen to her 2 post neuter :shock: I'm sure it can't happen through hutch mesh though - but baby gates and dog crates have rather 'accomodating' holes in :oops:

I would imagine Spudsey will feel territorial about this, but it depends so much on individual personality. How long ago was Squirrel neutered too? They are fertile 8 weeks after neuter and can mate through cage bars ;)

Squirrel is only being neutered this week, but I won't be introducing them for ages yet. Didn't realise they were fertile EIGHT whole weeks after! They can't mate through glass can they???

and Spudsey is not spayed yet due to being too little :)

oh my god introductions might not start for about 3 months then!!! :shock:

it will be christmas :shock:

I am working this out ok right?:?

Spudsey can't be spayed until perhaps another month??

Once Spudsey is speyed....depepnding on how hormonal Squirrel is you could potentially bond them within 2-4 weeks IF he is not going to drive her crazy by humping her continually.

Back