• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vets

Status
Not open for further replies.

elve

Banned
:( I am so sick of hearing stories about crappy vets messing up people's bunnies and their lives :evil: Yet another pregnant bunny in care threads, aged just 18weeks herself :cry: because the vet didn't mention the buck would be fertile after castration - how utterly stupid and irresponsible can you get :evil: So if anyone wonder why I'm so cynical about vets, it's because I've had 3 yrs on rabbit forums listening to tragedy after tragedy, all caused by vets not knowing what I've managed to glean from the internet :?

I agree there are some dreadful cases. However, there are an increasing number of excellent Vets. It is both frustrating and upsetting to read about the poor advice *some* Vets give. But I certainly dont think they are all 'bad'.
The newly qualified Vets seem more willing to learn more about Rabbits and as the Vet training still does not consist of more than a few days dedicated to ALL Exotics it really is up to the individual Vet to expand their Bunny Knowledge.
In the end they will all have to if they want to keep their business going. Rabbits are becoming more and more popular as Pets and Bunny owners are becoming more and more knowledgable and demanding.
Most people around my area now take their Buns to Christobel. There are numerous other Vet Practices, but word has got out about Christobel and people are voting with their feet ( and their credit card!! :lol: )

Janex

Yes I know - I did force myself to put 'some' vets - my own vet is great :) She's the only one in a practise of 3 that I'd trust though - What bothers me is novice pet owners just trust that white coat and 7yrs training and are totally innocent to the fact that vet training consists of cats/dogs/horses for 99% of the course - with a footnote about rabbits if they're bothered - it's appalling that they can qualify with such a level of ignorance about the 3rd most popular pet in the UK! :?

Is it normal for a vet to say that a rabbit not eating for 24 hours is considered an emergency. I thought it was 12!?

My old vet was appalling. Just thinking about her makes me angry. And I worry I let my Bonnie-girl down by taking her to see that woman. But at the time, they were the only vets in my area and I wasn't very well myself. But this woman was rough, admitted she knew nothing about rabbits and barely examined my rabbit when she had stopped eaten and gone all lethargic. All she could say was, 'hm, well, it doesn't look like VHD'. She then told me to try and feed her, and if she didn't, bring her back the next day, as an emergency.

I did that, and she got really snappy with me - saying I hadn't made an appointment. How could I? I hadn't known she'd still be ill, she'd told me to bring her in first thing, so she reluctantly squeezed me in. I was so upset I was crying in the waiting room... but when I went in I managed to stop. She suggested sending Bonnie off to be xrayed, I told her that no, she wouldn't be doing that, and that Bonnie would die because she was too weak. Which she then agreed to. When it came to taking Barney, I was prepared to walk back out if that woman was still there.. Thankfully, we now have a new Irish guy, who despite looking at me funny whenever I bring my bunnies for vaccines, seems more knowing. ^^

I agree, just look at what that vet wrote in the Daily Telegrapgh on Saturday. If supposed 'experts' are giving out such poor 'advice' is it any wonder rabbits and other small animals suffer so much?

Agreed!
Although there are some good ones....
my vet died :cry: and we had a locum... an :censored: castrated Isaac, and a yummy very rabbit savvy new locum saved his life - and he was so utterly lovely... so if anyone knows a vet called brandon who is drop deadd gorgeous and saved a rabbit who had bitten off his balls... then tell him I love him! :lol: :lol:

It is sad that not much time is spent on rabbits and other such creatures... I guess dogs and cats are the most popular :roll: - although considering that rabbits are 3rd you would think they would do something about learning about it.

I agree to an extent, but when I think back to about 10 years ago when I got my first house rabbits, the advances have been HUGE. Just think what advances there'll be in the next 10 years :D

Amy

i also think that people blame their vets sometimes when they have been irresponsible themselves or not listened properly to advice or instructions.:?
sorry i have my cynics head on today i will change it for a nice one:oops: :lol:

Having read numerous threads on here about poor vet advise ( or general lack of bun knowledge) it has made me realise just how lucky I am to have the vet I do.:D As Jane has already pointed out, the likes of Christobel seem to be few and far bewteen, but thankfully, I seem to have been blessed with a great practice. We've been registered with them for 20 years ( there abouts ) and have seen them with cats, buns and tortoises. The senior partner is brilliant and open to progress and change and the youngest newest vet ( who I hope stays) has been excellent. We chat everytime I'm down there about the conferences he's been on and general rabbit care etc I trust him implicitly. The only cloud on the horizon is we plan to move away in 3 years and they are going to be a very tough act to follow! However if it hadn't been for this forum, I wouldn't be as aware as I am that there are poor bunny vets out there. I will be shopping very carefully for a vet when we do have to leave here. On which note I would like to thank everyone for highlighting this issue, I'm just sorry that for some the price has been too high.:(

Yes and it does worry me that we push newbies to get rabbits spayed but using a bad vet to spay your rabbit is like a death sentence - I think if we are going to promote spaying for health reasons we also in the same post should add that finding a vet who has attended small animal conferences to DO the spay is essential too.

I have been looking for a rabbit savvy vet for the past 2 and a half years and only just found one :shock: I agree with you though, for such a popular pet more vets should know what they are talking about. The first vet Buu saw when she was a baby was allergic to rabbits, didnt want to touch her, then suddenly grabbed her off the table and dropped her :evil: And when I regsitered her there I did mention she was a rabbit :roll: :? I really hope it will get better. I think as more and more people actually take their rabbits to the vets they will eventually have to be better trained :D

My very precious bunny Smokey died at the hands of a rubbish vet several years ago. He had fly strike and was recovering well, we went to his follow up appointment and the vet we saw initially was not on duty that day so we saw another at the practice. Bad handling combined with a 1 hour wait in a waiting room filled with yapping dogs caused his very much avoidable and untimely death, he died screaming in agony :cry: to say i have never got over it is an understatement :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I find that the olde vets are less reliable than the newer ones.

Both my rabbit Savvy vets are of the younger generation but the two older guys are useless with outdated information, poor bedside manners, awful surgical technique (too rough on delicate rabbits), a general disinterest in rabbits, oh and terribly PATRONISING!

I find that the olde vets are less reliable than the newer ones.

Both my rabbit Savvy vets are of the younger generation but the two older guys are useless with outdated information, poor bedside manners, awful surgical technique (too rough on delicate rabbits), a general disinterest in rabbits, oh and terribly PATRONISING!

agreed. when i go i hate to see the owner of the practice he is not very bunny friendly. luckily i have rarely had to as our usual vet is superb and most often avaliable. does worry me a little tho.

I have the most fantastice vet ever, Paula is utterly amazing and knows so much about bunnies she is truly fantastic, I really don;t think that half my bunnies would be here now if it weren't for Paula, she certainly knows her stuff and is willing to learn at all times.

Sadly, vets like Paula are few and far between and I really feel for those folk who don;t have a rabbit savvy vet, it must be so worrying

I had called this thread 'some vets need slapping' or something in that vein.....However although I named no names, and the word 'some' does not call the entire vetinary profession to account, and the fact is that SOME VETS do need slapping for being utterly incompetant and lazy, admin have changed the title of my thread to 'vets' :shock: I can see no reason for this intrusion into my perfectly justified opinion :shock: Doubly justified in the light of Louise's thread.

I had called this thread 'some vets need slapping' or something in that vein.....However although I named no names, and the word 'some' does not call the entire vetinary profession to account, and the fact is that SOME VETS do need slapping for being utterly incompetant and lazy, admin have changed the title of my thread to 'vets' :shock: I can see no reason for this intrusion into my perfectly justified opinion :shock: Doubly justified in the light of Louise's thread.

I agree that it was a justified thread title, people that have read my above post would know why (IMHO), i also have (and many other people do) that view on SOME vets :(

I'm sorry you feel that your right to expressions of violence was infringed. Whilst the thread title was swapped the contents was left open for discussion which seems a reasonable compromise to me.

If you have questions about admin decisions please express them to admin via PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back