• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Please...

Toni H

Mama Doe
Hi everyone!

I really need some help and advice this morning.
We woke up to find Murray laid down in his bedroom. He hasn't eaten any hay since last night, and he didn't touch his carrots this morning - very unlike him. He's usually bounding around so happy to see us. He doesn't seem to have made many poops through the night either.

I'm so worried about him :cry: - I cleaned them both out last night, he ate his pellets, then seems to have stopped eating.

We did manage to pick him up this morning with no problem, eyes are clear and bright, his tummy seems fine too (not hard or swollen). The only things that are wrong is he seems to want to try and lie down but can't and he hasn't made any poops. We're going to take him to the vet later but I was wondering if anyone out there had any advice....

Oh dear, poor you - I know how stressful and worrying it is. It is definitely one for the vets as soon as possible this morning. GOOD LUCK!!

infacol for babies and a tummy rub may well sort him out. Also try to get him moving - if he wants to be in his hutch then put him the other end of the garden to get him to run back to it - works when Benny is like this.

If these 2 things don't get results take him to the vets. If you book a tea time appointment then you can cancel if he's better by then - hope he's OK one way or another :)

Forgot to say - there's some controversy but a baby dose of infants calpol will help too - although I give mine quarter of a soluble asprin in 100ml water and pineapple juice.

If he's been moulting recently, or his partner has, you'll find bromelain tablets from holland and barrett help with passing the hair through too - 40mg chewable ones give one every day or every other day depending how much they are moulting.

I would take him to the vet asap cause usually in cases like this the quicker he gets treatment the better. In the meantime you could try to tempt him with some fragrant herbs or something he really likes and as elve said, try to get him moving a bit and give him tummy rubs. hope he feels better soon.

I would take him to the vet asap cause usually in cases like this the quicker he gets treatment the better. In the meantime you could try to tempt him with some fragrant herbs or something he really likes and as elve said, try to get him moving a bit and give him tummy rubs. hope he feels better soon.

Yep, I would agree with this. If Evo is ever like it, I try to get in for an appointment in 2/3 hours time, then I can cancel if he improves before then.

Got an appointment for 9.20 this morning, I'll keep everyone posted when I know more. Fingers crossed.

Good luck at the Vets.
Personally I would not administer any oral medication (except Infacol) til the Vet has seen him
If he is in stasis oral meds wont work anyway

Janex

He's been kept in at the vet. He's got a bit of a swollen tummy, so they're giving him some fluids in a hope that gets things moving, they didn't say what it was or what's causing it tho. We've got to call back at 4pm to see what's going on. If not he's going in for an xray to see what's going on...

I'm so worried about the little guy :cry: I wish I could be there to make sure he's OK.

Poor Bun :cry:
He will be getting all the necessary meds and fluids now so is in the best place
Hopefully the meds will kick in and his tum will start moving again

Sending healing vibes

Janex

Poor Bun :cry:
He will be getting all the necessary meds and fluids now so is in the best place
Hopefully the meds will kick in and his tum will start moving again

Sending healing vibes

Janex

Thanks Jane....I know he's in the right place but I can't help but worry about him....:cry:

Help Please - An update

Hi everyone - an update on Murray.

Called the vet, he has now eaten and passed some poops! Horray :D I am so relieved, he seems much happer in himself and we can call back at 6pm to see if he can come home today...:p

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and support and advice....

Back