• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Considering rabbits

ukwoody

New Kit
:wave: Good evening all, I wonder if you would be kind enough to share some of your opinions and knowledge with me please.

My girlfriend (Wanda) and I have a cat, small dog and, a pond with goldfish. we love animals.

Wanda feels she would like another pet - one she could fuss over (the cat is somewhat less than sociable!). She has decided a rabbit (ok 2, to be company to each other) would be ideal.
Now I had rabbits as a kid many years back, and when I got married we also had one. Back then we worried about Mixy and that was about all.

Things move on, and now it seems we have to be worried about Mixy, vhd, fly strike, foxes and goodness knows what else. We used to put Cavies in for company,but thats now frowned upon,(shame, she also like guineas) and they basically lived in their hutch with regular runs on the lawn.

If we got rabbits, they would have to live outside most of the time. Being a carpenter, building a run isn't an issue :)but, are rabbits too much hassle nowadays? Are they always being ill? what happens if you lead a fairly busy lifestyle? Can they stay out of doors all year round? Is a semi rural location sensible?

OK, I'm sure one or two of you are immediatly thinking, "blimey what sort of bloke is this?" In actual fact, I am a very caring.. but cautious person who wants to make sure that we make the correct choice and one that ensures the well being of pet.

So what I am basically saying is, are rabbits hard to keep in these days? how do other people manage with thier otherpets/ lifestyles.

Please do not think I am for one moment suggesting the rabbit would get neglected or be unloved, indeed it would undoubtably get spoilt, but on a purely practical basis there will always be "the odd occasion" he can't be let out etc etc.

I appreciate many of you on here will be "extremly keen" ;) owners, but we will be just your ordinary loving family living an ordinary life with our pets which to us are our children. hence wanting to do right!

Phew, not bad for a first post eh?:lol:

Woody

Firstly, you come across as the sensible sort of person that does your research before getting the rabbits. That always gets thumbs up from me :D

Rabbits can have health problems and realistically expect a trip to the vet to set you back as much as a cat would. You can get pet insurance for them though. I don't think rabbits are more likely to get sick now but perhaps they've had a bit of a raise in status and are more likely to be treated like a dog would rather than as a disposable child's pet.

If you read the forum you'll probably be shocked by the number of ill rabbits but there are many more than only have to go to the vets for the annual vaccinations. They vaccinate against myxi now :)

Rabbits are fine to live outside all year around as long as they have a warm, dry weather proof shelter. Before you decide on accommodation have a good look around at the options. If I was starting from scratch I'd go for a full hight run (like an aviary) so it's easy to walk in and interact with my rabbits. Some people prefer a shed or hutch/run combination. Being a carpenter will certainly help :D

If you build good accommodation to start with then daily maintenance can be as little as checking the rabbits over and throwing in a new pile of hay. If you get a pair they'll keep each other company.

I definitely recommend having permanent access to a run. They will protest if they are used to a run and aren't left out :D

Hope that help :)

Tamsin

It sounds like temperament is quite important so I'd suggest visiting a rescue (or two) and meeting the rabbits, firstly so you can check they are the right type or animal and secondly when it comes to pick you get one with the cuddly personality you're looking for. You can get anti-social bunnies as much as you can cats ;)

I wouldn't say that they're hard pets, but they do take up a fair bit of time.

I work full-time and still manage to care for my 6.

All mine live indoors at the moment, in pairs in dog crates and pens.

2 of mine will be moving outside into a 8x6 shed with a 8x6 run attached, hopefully this month.

A spayed/neutered, girl/boy pairing is nice, 2 of my pairs are girl/boy and 1 is girl/girl but they were together from being babies.

If you go to a rescue they normally will spay and neuter before rehoming.

Vaccs for Myxomatosis and VHD are a must!

With regards to illness, I wouldn't say they are worse than any other pet. They have sensitive guts, and pain caused by other factors, For Example, teeth probs, abcesses etc cause their guts to slow down and they need vet treatment.

Some people have insurance to cover for these things (Petplan etc) other people just save up money for emergencies.

I'm sure other people will have loads to add so I'll leave it there for now,

Best of luck with your decision,

Nicola

:wave: I would suggest if you are busy people and the rabbits are living outside that you do indeed get rabbits, rather than just one as they like company. The best and simplest way to do this is to pay what might seem a lot of money and get a ready bonded, neutered, well handled, vet checked and vaccinated pair from a reputable rescue (plenty on here! :) ) It really is the simplest way and saves a lot of money and heartache in the long run as baby bunnies can be very delicate, and of course they don't stay babies for long! With a ready made pair of adults from rescue you can see which ones you particularly take to when you visit - they aren't going to change in temperament like a baby will at 4 months either :)

Hello Woody :wave: It's great you're thinking so hard over getting rabbits as new family pets! You're right, there has been a lot of progress in rabbit husbandry over the past 10 or so years, so owning rabbits now is a totally different experience to even only a few years ago - but I have to say that I do think it's all with good reason and for the health and happiness of the bunnies at heart, not just paranoia for the sake of it.

I live in a semi-rural location with outdoor rabbits and don't find it a problem at all. I used to have 2 pairs but I have now bonded them into a foursome, and they all live in a wendy house with run attached. They have permanent access to the run so they have plenty of space. Goes without saying that you do need to make sure that the run is fully foxproof (and dogproof!) and digproof though, including locks not just catches, which foxes can open! If you can give them a large permanent area, it would be good to get some mesh below the surface so any buns can graze on grass without the risk of them digging out or a fox digging in!

I have to say my main concern was your partner's desire for pets she can fuss over - if she finds the cat unsociable, she might well be in for a shock with some bunnies! Of course you sometimes get exceptionally friendly and people-orientated buns, but mostly they have the attention span of a goldfish and will be far more interested in rummaging around and eating, than in enjoying a nice cuddle with their mum. I'd say this is all the more likely with outdoor rabbits as with the best will in the world they are on their own for the vast majority of the time - another good reason to get a pair...even with an hour or two per day, that's still 22 or 23 hours a day alone.

Finally, what is your dog like with bunnies - and take your time to "matchmake" suitable bunnies that will not be freaked out by your dog. It's not just a case that you know the dog won't hurt them - it's also important that the buns are fine with the sight, sound and smell of a dog. I remember many years ago a neighbour fed my buns when I was away overnight, and he reported the next day that when he picked the bun up, little Timmy screamed. He has never done this with anyone else or at any other time, so we can only assume that the smell of the neighbour's terrier was on his hands and the poor bun thought he was being picked up to be carried off for dinner!

So there is a lot to bear in mind, but I'm sure with all the information to hand, you will be able to make a decision as to whether buns are suitable for your household.

Good luck!

If only all people researched their potential pets like you are doing instead of impulse buying from a pet shop! :cry: Well done! :D

More fun than i thought poss...

But more work too.
Even though i did research bunnies etc - I was surprised at how much work they are.

I'm a new bunny owner of a pair of lovely loved up bunnies. They are adorable, and even more so now that they are chunky and full grown with their gorgeous fat feet. They are incredibly fun to watch in their run (that i manually put them in every day when its not pouring) - but the hutch cleaning out is a bit of a nightmare. I was not prepared for how long and how often it needs doing. I guess two bunnies worth of poos etc. I'm paranoid about flies and flystrike too. It really needs doing every three days, and they are now using the ground floor of a two story hutch solely as a toilet. WHich is actually easier because the top area doesn't need cleaning out quite as often anymore. A complete clean takes me nearly an hour to do. And really kills my back! I think my hutch design has some serious flaws for the humans, although bunny wise its nice and large.
Make sure your hutch has doors at the front which open horizontally, not vertically lifted up like mine does. I have to stoop under to clean it out! Not good.

I have to say my main concern was your partner's desire for pets she can fuss over - if she finds the cat unsociable, she might well be in for a shock with some bunnies! Of course you sometimes get exceptionally friendly and people-orientated buns, but mostly they have the attention span of a goldfish and will be far more interested in rummaging around and eating, than in enjoying a nice cuddle with their mum. I'd say this is all the more likely with outdoor rabbits as with the best will in the world they are on their own for the vast majority of the time - another good reason to get a pair...even with an hour or two per day, that's still 22 or 23 hours a day alone.

I echo everything that's been said already and also my concern is your comment about a pet she can fuss over. There are always exceptions but the majority of rabbits are really not 'cuddly' animals they prefer to cuddle up to another rabbit and look to you for food and cleaning them out. The pleasure in keeping a rabbit for me is watching them together, happily going about their rabbity business!!

As you can build your own accommodation you could consider getting larger French Lops which have a reputation for being more 'people friendly'. They are harder to find in rescue, but perfectly possible. If you decide to go to a breeder make sure they're a 'good' breeder who breed healthy rabbits. I've a friend who got two baby Frenchies and now they're grown up one is fantastically friendly and one isn't so if personality is important I would go for older ones whose personality is established.

The other thing that has changed is nowadays it's recommended to neuter/spay your rabbits. This obviously prevents pregnancy but also reduces the hormal behaviour associated with teenage and older rabbits and helps to prevent uterine cancer. Rescues generally neuter and vaccinate rabbits before rehoming so this can save a lot of money.

Enjoy looking for your rabbits :)

good morning,

many thanks for all your replies which are well balanced, sensible and thought provoking!
I take on board the comments about cuddly buns. Our next door neighbour has "charlie Raymond" a huge Lop that must be the most spoilt indoor rabbit alive! But even he kicks a bit.
Wanda wants small rabbits, so that again needs to be thought through.

AlisonA is correct when she says how much has changed - probably most of all is peoples perception of how to care for rabbits. lets be honest here, in years gone by they were stuffed in a hutch, given a Guinea for company and a lettuce leaf for lunch:rolleyes: -The good old days? I think not:lol:

Without being funny here, would guineas possibly actually be a more sensible idea? (I see the shudders going thru you bunnykins now:lol: :lol: ).

I have no doubt what so ever of the attention and love the rabbits would get (we have 9 goldfish in the pond - each one has a name! and when one recently was ill Wanda wanted a house visit from the vet!:roll: ) but as already stated I want to be sure whatever we decided gives enjoyment to us and the best life possible for the pet.

Forgive me if I seem undecided at this stage and full of questions, but I believe in keeping a pet for life and ensuring they too are happy and content.

Now, since we're on hols this week, I'm off to have a bacon butty! (or was it rabbit pie?...:twisted: :lol: )

Kind regards
Woody

I've got many many guinea pigs (too many :roll: :lol: ) and they are very cuddly and easy to handle compared to rabbits, and there's lots in rescue too - a few rescues on here have rabbits and guins :) Quite often pet shop piggies come with all sorts of health problems and are pregnant if female, since guinea pigs breed from the age of 3 weeks :shock: I do love my piggies - here's a pic of little Horace, asleep on the hay to tempt you :D

peepingsleecefully.jpg

Well I would at least advice you to get rabbits OR guinea pigs and not both as far too many does.
Rabbits and guinea pigs are two very different animals and should never be housed together, sadly they still do:?

I have outdoor rabbits, even in the norwegian winter with snow and frozen water they do fine with their hutches filled with hay to keep them warm. Occasionally I even put up towels in front of the wire door to prevent snow to come in during a storm. Also outdoor bunnies get the softest winter fur. I love cuddling bunnies in the winter:D

I have rabbits and gp's and would never consider having them in same accomodation for so many factors.
1. they are diff species whoever thought housing them together was a good thing are daft.
2. They need different nutrition
3. gp's can very easily get injuries and die off the bunny by accident.

There was a woman i got my chin lop off and when i went to get her i was suprised to see a gp living with her. Well i ended up bringing them both home and put Larry the gp in his own little hutch he is one happy little piggie now.

Rabbits make nice pets but some don't like to be fussed over and can scratch and nip i have the scars to prove it :lol:
Guinea pigs on the other hand don't scratch or bite (well very rarely) and they love hugs well mine do. So if she wants something to fuss over i would persionally go with the gp's 2 females can live very content together and love the company. I would actually say they are easier to look after than rabbits just aslong as they have their leafy green (vit c).

hope all goes well.

Image018.jpg

I'd consider guineapigs too - they need lots of handling intially then can be quite tame and 'cuddly' :) Although I have to say having had both I prefer rabbits - I could watch them for hours whereas piggies tend to eat, poo and sleep (well mine do!!)

I'd consider guineapigs too - they need lots of handling intially then can be quite tame and 'cuddly' :) Although I have to say having had both I prefer rabbits - I could watch them for hours whereas piggies tend to eat, poo and sleep (well mine do!!)

:lol: mine to although they are cute little things

buns win over guinea pigs in my eyes every time... has anyone actually litter tray trained guinea pigs :? Every gp I've ever met is an eating pooing-wherever machine and that makes buns easier to keep in my humble opinion

good luck

I love my house bunny sooty but have to admit, if you want a pet that wont bounce on to your lap for two seconds then try to climb onto your head rather than settle down for a big cuddle, then you probably ought to go for a cat. Also the litter emptying, sweeping up, putting out fresh hay and veg needed to keep a bun in tip top health is more time consuming than for a cat.

On the other hand buns are great fun and many will settle down for a little nose rub/stroke, especially if it is close to nap time. They also probably don't get as ill quite as often as the number of threads on RU would imply. Many people probably view and then join the forum because their bunny is ill or has a problem and they want to get good advice.

Considering rabbits UPDATE

A big thank you one and all for your help and advice. After considerable thought we decided a rabbit (or guinea pig) was not the best way forward for us with the lifestyle we live and - the needs of the rabbit!

However after a visit to an animal rescue place yesterday (Many Tears, Carmarthanshire) we are now the proud owners (if you can be such a thing) of JJ, a half Bengal half British shorthair tabby cat. He is an absolute purr machine and extremly affectionate which is just the thing Wanda wanted. He is also used to other cats and dogs, which is a big plus, though our existing cat wasnt so accomodating when she breifly saw him today:roll: :lol:

I am very grateful to you all, for without your help we may possibly have made the wrong decision and whilst I have no doubt the rabbit would have been loved and cared for, may not have had the best he deserved, and at the end of the day that is very important.
We wish you all the very best with your respective Bunnies (and guineas!) and hope they live long, healthy happy lives:wave:

Kind regards
Woody and Wanda

But well done to you both for doing the research beforehand and choosing the perfect (I'm restraining myself now....) pet for you. I'm sure your cat will be really happy with you and that you will get many a rewarding time from him. :D

Back