• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fiesty Poppy

kaitee

New Kit
Ok , so on Saturday my cousin's rabbit is coming for a week. She's quite young but she scratches lots! My cousins and Auntie and Uncle all have scars from Poppy's scratches. She's a black and white lionhead with a ginger nose! She's under a year old. She's held everyday by my auntie.
I have had rabbits before but never an unfriendly one. What can i do to make her abit more friendly// ? I havn't had a rabbit for about 5 years so can i be refreshed on there care please?
Thanks!
Kaitee
x

:wave: rabbits don't usually like being picked up as it frightens them, so I always wear a long sleeved fleece jacket when I handle mine. Have her nails ever been cut? If they're scared of being picked up you can use a cat carrier with a treat put at the back for them, so they walk in, or if you have them with you in the house you will find they are less scared if you sit on the floor and let them come to you from choice.

Often female rabbits won't let you put your hands into their cage or hutch either - it's because they are territorial as it's their nesting area - usually being spayed stops this kind of behaviour. If they aren't spayed it's best to avoid putting your hands into their cage or hutch - I let my rabbits hop out by themselves and never carry them unless they need a vet visit.

If they won't let you put food in or sweep the hutch then try putting some food in the bedroom compartment, then when they go to that, put their dish in the main compartment - and wait until they are having a run if you need to clean their cage.

Back