• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training

KarinB

Warren Scout
Have had out bunnies for almost three years and they use the dark side of their outdoor hutch as their toilet. They tend to wee and poo in certain areas but I was wondering if i could train them to do it in a tray or is it too late?

its never too late with rabbits - they learn just as well as an adult as they do as a baby.

I would put the litter tray where they already poop etc and keep putting any poops etc and soiled hay/bedding into the tray. they will eventually cotton on.
They may change their corner - so move the trays there or add another tray etc.

its never too late with rabbits - they learn just as well as an adult as they do as a baby.

I would put the litter tray where they already poop etc and keep putting any poops etc and soiled hay/bedding into the tray. they will eventually cotton on.
They may change their corner - so move the trays there or add another tray etc.

Thanks.

Now I have two litter trays - the usual cat style one and a corner one. Which is best? Should it be visible in their hutch or should it just be placed where they do their poops and sort or camoflaged?

Hi!

I think it depends on the buns, but mine don't like corner ones - I've not found them big enough for them and they just never go the hang of it. mine like to be able to lie in it! i just fill the bottom with newspaper and sometimes a wood/paper based litter and then hay. The tray doesn't need to be concealed as mine love to hop in and sit and chew on the hay. they also like to lay in there, just because!!!

I've litter trained most of my adults now, all of varying ages up to 3 years old. Have a few stubborn ones that refuse to use them but I'm wondering if they don't like the corner trays I've got and its worth trying them with normal trays.

Anyway, I moved house 2 weeks ago and the rabbits moved over with me last weekend. Since the move one doe that refused to use her tray before, prefering to hurl it round her hutch, is now using it intermitently, but my buck that used his tray from within 10 minutes of it being put in originally, is now refusing to use it!! Any suggestions for retraining him??

I went to clean out the bunnies yesterday and found that there were two patches where they sit and do thier business. Not sure if each rabbit has it's own patch so what I did I put a litter tray in the corner where one of the patches was but the other area not where the tray is is still being used.

Will I need to put two trays in or will they both use the same one eventually?

If I have two trays in it is going to almost fill the room up.

My single hutch bunnies have 2 trays so I would imagine a pair will definitely want 2. Having said that, Maa was perfectly litter trained till early this year - then for no apparent reason she decided to hop out of the tray and go next to it :roll: Have tried 2 trays (not really room as it's only a 2x4 hutch and I use large trays they can lie in) a tray upstairs (ignored, as upstairs is mostly) moving them round and everything - she still uses the floor so I am resigned to cleaning up the mess now as she's a hopeless case :?

However all my bunnies were adult when I got them and they took to litter trays straight away, but I used really big storage boxes rather than cat litter trays, so they had no choice really - if they wanted to eat any hay, they had to sit in the box ;) That's probably Maa's problem - she's not a big hay eater.

I use a litter tray in the hutch bedroom compt, and trial & error has resulted in
- normal cat tray they manage to wee over the top of
- corner tray wasnt big enough for them both to sit in, so one would wee next to it
- B&Q handibench works well, but didnt quite fit, so I use this in the house
- have settled on an underbed storage plastic box.

I litter trained my bun at 9 so it is possible! He had a 6 X 4 shed and had one large cat litter tray and two high backed trays. I found putting the hay at the front of the litter tray worked really well!

actually after i bought the kitten one my mum came back from a garden centre with a tray...looked identical but black and it was 59p!

Bought another litter tray today so tomorrow, when I clean them out, I will place tray no. 2 in there and see what happens.

Fingers crossed.

Well I cleaned them out this morning and Smudge (who I think does his business in the corner where I put the first litter tray) had been doing a lot of weeing over the top of the tray into the corner of the hutch - it was realy stinky. :roll:

So now there are two trays in so we'll see how they deal with that.

They are set in their ways so anything changed in their hutch really affects them!!

Back