• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

excess cecals

chloe27

Young Bun
my rabbits have a lot of excess cecal pellets.. and i mean a lot!!
i have been giving them a rabbit mix and fresh grass,broccoli and dandelion evryday along with unlimited timothy hay.
today i didnt give them any rabbit mix or greens just hay...will this be ok...how long can i just give them hay for...
sorry if this question has been answered before
:rolleyes:rolleyes:

yes just hay is a great way to clear up a poorly tummy. Though I would start to reintroduce the foods slowly and one by one on the second day so you can see what is causing them or if it is the amount of food etc.

I would also suggest slowly changing your buns onto a high fibre pellet feed, such as Science Selective by Supreme (same maker as russel rabbit - so you should be able to get hold of it easily) or Oxbow Bunny Basics, Proper Food for pets or Allen and Page (see the page on the front page of rabbit rehome about 'Rabbit care' and under dry food - it explains all the brands and contents.

Changing their food over will definitley reduce the amount of caecotrophs and stop your bunny from selectively feeding.

Good luck x

If your rabbit is producing excess excess cecal pellets the most likely cause is feeding a rabbit mix of a food such as excell. If I get rabbits in which have this problem, I always change them slowly over to a higher fibre food such as Bunny Basics T or Oxbow ... any of the high fibre foods should resolve this problem. Another problem can be if they are fed too much dried food, rabbits only need about 50g a day, if they are getting more than this slowly cut this down and provide more hay. Hay should account for a large percentage 80 - 90 % of their diet this helps prevent gut and teeth problems.

When changing over any rabbits food they must be done slowly over a period of at least a week ideally longer.

Vet suggested to me they were not eaten because my bun didn't require the nutritional content of the cecal. Therefore she was being overfed and getting plenty of nutrition elsewhere.

He said to only give pellets in the morning. I find this difficult as i would hate for her to be hungry and so give them and eggcup full at teatime with their veg. She does still leave me 1 or 2 to clean up though. :?

Also i have read Science selective is a very good food for eliminating this problem and am going to wean mine onto this food to see if it totally clears the problem. Hope this helps

thanks everyone...great forum!!!
i will try to get some better pellets instead of the mix that i have...now all i need to do is avoid looking my bunnies in the eye for the next couple of days!!!....they are making me believe i am starving them and im a sucker for that twitchy nose!!!

I'm about to put mine on a diet :? I will have to convince her that her bum does look big in her hutch :lol: :lol: :lol:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh :? i just gave my rabbits nothing but hay for the past 2 days and there are still loads of cecals lying around the cage...what am i doing wrong...are they sick:(

My Barney also produces too many softies. His currants are large and golden so I assume his tum is OK. I took him off the Excel and tried SS with no improvement so for the last week he has had no pellets, just hay. dried herbs and some carrot tops. He has also been on probiotics with no improvement.The caecos are less but still around so I am thinking this is 'normal' for him. He is a prolific pooer (produces about 20 to Herbie's 1) so I guess this applies to the caecos too.
I have been agonising and getting really stressed about trying to stop the caecs (he arrived at 13 weeks and was OK then - kicked off with Excel?) but am now resigned to the fact that perhaps this is how he is, especially when the currants look so healthy. I am new here but I am sure that more experienced bunny owners may say that finding caecs lying around is not always a problem.

Back