• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my house big enough?

tracyuk

Mama Doe
I have just read through my freecycle adds and someone has put this.

"offered Brown Rabbit
Good home needed for her kids got fed up, She is about 6 months old"

My OH says I am not allowed another but I dread to think what will happen to this little girl. My only problem is housing, Do you think mine will be big enough for three, they are free range most of the time and are put in this at night!
bunnies003.jpg

Boxingday081.jpg
:)

Last edited:
Well I don't think you need worry about that so much as what would you put her in now? She can't just go straight in with your others and if she's housed anywhere near them your existing pair will probably fight :( If she's to bond with them successfully it's likely she'd need spaying too - and then there's the issue of quarantining her - you wouldn't want your existing pair to catch any parasites, e-c, pasteurella etc so she would need quarantining away from them :( I hate to look at these ads as it breaks your heart - only you know if you can deal with all the upheaval long term.

I do have a smaller hutch that would be big enough for one rabbit short term, I lso have a spare playpen I could put it in. I have thought about bonding and spaying, its a bit of a pain but hate to think where this bunny will end up when she is so close to me.

If you have a hutch well away from your house bunnies (so they don't fight) you will still need to change your clothes so they can't smell her after you've handled her. But you could always get her to safety and then see if any rescues here can put her on a waiting list while you foster her, or try and rehome her yourself through the rabbitrehome pages or rabbits in need on the forum? But be prepared to keep her as brown rabbits aren't so popular, especially unspayed.

I had thought of that too but know how soft I am and know I wouldnt be able to give her up. The lady hasnt replied to me yet so maybe she has gone!

She has just emailed me and the bun has been taken. Maybe its not such a bad thing but I do hope she has gone to a home where they wont get fed up with her after a few weeks.

Awww :( Relief mixed with worry - I know that feeling :roll: Usually if it's free to good home you need to act immediately before someone comes along with dubious intentions (snake/dog food - hate to say it :( ) Anyway let's be positive and assume this girl went to a good home - it does happen! :)

sometimes people offer pets on my local freecycle...although usually the people do say they wont give away the animal until people have been properly spoken to, visted the animal etc, as long as they did that im sure she will be okay..

althought i do love freecycle!! i have got...uymmm 7 hutches off there!! four of them nice doubles, and there all always in a sorry state when i get them, and then i do them up, and then sometimes connect them together! hehe

Back