• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sawdust and litter.

duracell

Alpha Buck
I am allergic to sawdust, Luckely so are my ratties so we rub along fine. But what should I use where for the bunnie?? and what substrate should go in the litter tray? I use the wood pellets for the cat and ratties but I have read this is unsafe for bunnies.:shock: Help!

I use megazorb but I know lots of people use the wood pellets. It's the phenol in them (and sawdust) that smells nice and 'piney' but phenol is supposedly bad for a rabbit's liver, as it's toxic and the liver processes all toxins. Rabbits have very delicate livers and bouts of gut stasis, anaesthetics, slightly poisonous plants etc all damage their liver to an extent, so the argument against wood based products is based on this idea of minimising stress on their liver, as stress accumulates over time.

Megazorb is also dusty if that's your allergy - you might like ecopetbed, which is shredded cardboard.

^ thats what I was wondering! I have the phenol free stuff because rats are extreamly sensetive to this and respiritary tract infections is the single biggest killer of ratties

Back