• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

moses has weepy eye- advice please before vet visit

madysmummy

Mama Doe
moses has always had a slightly crusty eyes - you know at the sides of the eyes. then this afternoon i came home from work and noticed one eye had more goo rather than crust - only a little bit. i went to church this evening and while i was out i put him and mady in the outside inbetween part of our house and the out house ( totally covered just not as warm as the house - this is where i put them for a run when its raining) came back to church and noticed that his eye is now very weepy. i'm quite worried. could be caused by a draft if he was in the outside bit ? what can i do to help it this evening before calling the vet tomorrow. this couldn't have come at a worse time. My husband is away in hong kong and i have to work a long shift tomorrow (7am monday right through till tues) i have decided to come out to take him to the vet but i'm very worried. his eye was closing slightly and his eye lid was quite red. is there anything i can do to help it for now ? warm salt water ?
help please i'm really worried ! this might be cause hubby isn't here cause it might be something and nothing but i've drove over to my parents to ask the forum as i can't do nothing - it looks so sore.

Squidgy's being treated for a weepy eye at the moment. I would bathe it with cooled boiled water for now.
Squidgy is having eye drops to treat infection. If it doesn't clear up, the vet will have a look at teeth problems.

Bobby has an eye defect, where his eyelid turns slightly inward so his lashes rub on his eye. He copes fine most of the time, but sometimes has a weepy eye and sometimes closes his eyes a little. Could it be the same sort of thing? I was told there was nothing to be done about it, but have just rad in rabbitting on that there may be an operation available.

Hope it goes well at the vets.

Moses may have an eye infection, a foreign body caught under his eyelids or maybe a scratch on the cornea from his bunny buddy. If there is some kind of discharge then an antibiotic from a vet will probably be needed. If you can gently look in his bottom eyelid you may be able to make sure there is not a foreign body. Bathing with cooled boiled water with salt will not do any harm but obviously getting a check at the vets is needed - why do pets seem to require vet treatment at the weekend?

My poor little Biscuit has weepy eyes, just like you've described. And sometimes (usually just after i've put fresh hay in her hutch) it irritates them a little bit. She has to have her tear ducts flushed out every couple of months coz they keep getting bunged up. Her eye drops calm it, but don't cure it.
They always check Biscuit for teeth problems, and luckily she's fine, and I hope your bun's teeth are fine too.

When Nibbles was a baby, her fur was too long for her size (if that makes sense) and it used to get in her eye and irritate it and make em all nasty n sore, but luckily, she grew into her fur and it stopped.

Aw, what a shame, you must be really worried. These things always seems to happen with bunnies at the most inappropriate times!

Not sure what to suggest - just what others have really - cooled boiled water to bathe it with maybe. Have you checked in case there's a tiny piece of hay in his eye?

Hope it gets sorted soon x

Bobbin has had a watery eye for the past week and a half. I took him to the vets and it turns out he has a scratch on his corniea. I was given an ointment to apply.

It could be down to this, but weepy eyes can be symptoms of more serious things, such as teeth problems. It's necessary to get him to a rabbit savvy vet so they can give a professional diagnosis.

Sorry if this is really obvious and stupid, but what litter are you using in the trays? It's just that I remember Clover getting a bad eye when I first got her, but she was fine once I swapped to Megazorb.

Hope Moses is better soon. x

Only just seen this.

Optrex eyewash is really good for small animal eye infections.

Healing vibes

really can that be used on buns ?

well i bathed it last night and it was much better. i brushed him and cut his nails. then let him out for a run about and he was running about like a mad thing so he was feeling ok. i checked his eye and i couldn't see anything. he wouldn't let me check his teeth. this morning it was fine and i bathed it again and then it looked worse, but think thtas cos it was wetish. so have left him at home while i'm at work. i'm working all day today and won;t be back at home till tomorrow. so i will pop in home quickly and check on him. i've decided that i will see how he is tomorrow and if i feel he needs to i'll take him to the vet. i was in such as state last night cos i was worried about being at work all day today - but it was better. i think it might have been something to do with him being int the uthosue bit as it was cold last night. after an hour being inside again his eye was much more open. so we will see.
i thik i will bath it for the next few days. and might get some optrex ;)
thanks guys for you help. i was in such a too doo last night. worried about my baby boy

I was the same as you total panic attack i had poor scrumpie having malocclusion and everything. Took him to the vets and the vets found no problem teeth apart from one a bit crooked (probably kicked in the mouth)but it was fine. He flushed his tear ducts out but 2 weeks later it was back. I changed his bedding e.t.c still did not go. Had him back to the vets and the vets could not find anything wrong. He said just to use diluted optrex eye rinser and 1 year down the line he is still the same but with no illnesses or teeth problems. Its just one of those things with me as he had it from day one not really bad mainly just crusty eye so i just bathe it every week.

I hope bun gets well soon.

Optrex eyewash is safe to use with bunnies, guinea pigs and I'd say any other small furry.

You only want the bog standard eyewash and it won't cure the problem but it really does soothe the eye and makes them feel better.

I had an elderly rescue guinea pig that was plagued with eye problems and a weekly bath of Optrex kept his eyes clear.

Back