• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kovus Vaccinations Today U/D-Back from vets

I'm so nervous...Kovus going for his first vaccination tomorrow! Which one is it they usually do first?
Is there anything special I need to do for him? Is there anything I need to look out for when the vets doing it?
Any help would be great!

Last edited:
Myxi is the first one, dont worry he will be fine:wave: They usually put the injection in two places (bottom of ear and the scruff of the neck i think:oops: ) closed my eyes last week when Lily went for her booster.

Sometimes they will not do the last 10% in the ear, but into the skin as they are withdrawing the needle :) Don't worry, I'm sure your bun will be fine :)

Just got back, he was terrified at the vets poor thing :( But when he got in the room he wasnt too bad, he took the 1 in the scruff ok but when Steve (the vet, I know him from going all the time with my rats and hes the best one) went to put the last bit in the ear, poor Kovu jumped and wriggled out of the way (despite me holding him) and ended up with a scratched ear :( In the end Steve just put the rest in the skin on the scruff!
He said Kovu seems healthy, he double checked his sex for me and has said he'll be ready for castration in a month or 2. Ive also been given some panacur paste for him. Hes book back in for 3rd Sept for his VHD :)

I got given a rabbit care card to record vaccinations etc and on it theres a spot for microchip number..is it common practice to have them microchipped? Does it work as well for them as it does for cats and dogs?

Hi....Glad everything went o.k. I personally don't think that there is much point in microchipping rabbits. Mne are kept in a secure run and not much chance of escpae (fingers crossed) whereas cats and dogs are more likely to go missing. I think it would be a waste of money to microchip your rabbit, but that's just my opinion x :D

Back