• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rescue buns U/D Vet and piccies!!

capel

Warren Veteran
When Karen and I went to get her 5th(!!) rabbit yesterday her heart went out to a beautiful but very sad/depressed looking blue-eyed white girlie. The poor thing was lying down in a hutch so small and dirty that she took up the whole length bar the last 6-9" which was the area she'd chosen as her toilet with the result that her nose was practically in the big pile of poos.:shock: Unfortunately she hadn't been spayed and so Karen went on to choose a lovely neutered buck whom you've all seen. Anyway, she rang this morning and said she and Andy had hardly slept at all thinking about her and had decided to try to get her, and would I be able to look after her until she could go to a rescue which has offered to spay and rehome her next month(am I allowed to name drop??). She dropped her off here this afternoon. I've not handled her at all yet as I want her to settle in first, but Leanne's coming over shortly to give me a hand and I'll get some nice close ups for you all then.Her she is, and Angie/Tracy do you recognise the hutch?? Thanks so much..this bunster thinks she's in heaven!!
DSC02492.jpg

DSC02498.jpg

We managed to get a poorly bunster out too, but I'll start another thread for her later. She'd been kept in what looked like a converted piano stool:shock:

Last edited:
Karen told me about these two Buns.
Oh my what a relief that she got them. I do hope the other Bun can be helped by the Vet :? :cry:

Janex

Oh, she is SO lovely!!!!!:D

Well done for getting her out of there and those awful conditions that she can now start enjoying a nice life!!!!!:D :D

So do I Jane. I'll put a pic up later of her..I just hope it's merely an oddly shaped dewlap she has. Rog says it looks too "loose" to be a tumour but I'm too scared to hope. Anyway both buns will be meeting Kevin tomorrow and hopefully I'll be bringing two home. Hang on.. here's a pic which shows it...not great, but will give you all an idea
DSC02496.jpg

She is pretty though
DSC02495.jpg

Last edited:
Awww pretty girl :love: :love: .. Thanks so much for fostering her Hilda.
Poor girl looked so down and sad yesterday :( and her still lying in the same spot and poo today :( She is lovely and I'm sure will go on to make a wondeful bun for someone.

Good luck in the vets tomorrow with the poorly bun :( have u named the lovely girl ?

I think she may just need a bit of 'cosmetic' surgery. It looks like she has a massive dewlap. Maybe she was used for lots of breeding :?
Please do let us know how she gets on tomorrow.

Janex

I've decided to call the little black bun "Hope" and that's all I can do for her. I'm sitting here feeling quite choked at the moment:( I'm usually such an optimist, but I suppose I don't want to tempt fate!

I think she may just need a bit of 'cosmetic' surgery. It looks like she has a massive dewlap. Maybe she was used for lots of breeding :?
Please do let us know how she gets on tomorrow.

Janex
Do you think so Jane? It would be great if she really just needs a nip and tuck. Odddly enough Rog was saying that theres' an articly about it in Rabbitting on! Leanne's here! Back later!

They're lovely :D

A dewlap is basically a fold of skin covered in fur. If you use your fingers to 'pinch' it lightly all the way around from ear base to ear base it should feel an even thickness all the way around. Like if you pinched a fold of skin on a person ;)

If there is an obvious lump when you do then it's more serious but if so it's more likely to be an abscess than a tumour I would think.

Big dulaps like that can look bulgy where the weight of it falls unevenly/the fur lies in different directions.

beautiful bunnies..keeping fingers crossed the black girl..let me know..
She can come here too..same time as the other one, if the vet says she will be fine with some plastic surgery:D

beautiful bunnies..keeping fingers crossed the black girl..let me know..
She can come here too..same time as the other one, if the vet says she will be fine with some plastic surgery:D

Oh Jill, that would be fantastic :D thank you so much..
Just hope the vet says she'll be okay she deserves some happiness..

My BB had a big dewlap before she lost her weight, now it is similar to the one on your bun in that it's gone lopsided.
The vet checked her last week and wasn't concerned.
Let's hope it's the same for your bun :)

My Sh*tty had a strange shaped dewlap after she lost weight. It never caused her problems, she would just 'throw' it to one side to groom :lol:

What's the story with this little one?

Amy

Well done to you and Karen on saving these poor buns. I really hope that Hope is okay and like everyone has said just needs her dewlap mending...I read that article Rabbiting On too!

Jill, thanks so much offering to have these buns next month. The blue-eyed white is beautiful..( btw what do you think of the name "Sapphire"?). She has quite a bad case of mites..her skin is very scaly and she also has several areas of crusting on her back. We had a shock when we turned her over as her bits are all red and inflammed with urine scald. We cleaned her up and then smothered the area with tea tree cream so hopefully she'll be feeling a bit better tonight. She is a lovely bunny and very easy to handle.
I've decided against the name Hope for the other one as my son said it sounded depressing, so we've renamed her Pansy for the time being. The good news is that the dewlap is just a dewlap!:) However, she two lumps on her back, both of which feel "attached" and quite hard. The bigger one is oblong and about the size of a damson. I'm trying not to think about it until Kevin's seen her tomorrow. The surprising thing about her is that her bottom and bits were as clean as a whistle, so her dewlap obviously doesn't interfere with her cleaning. She has pressure sores on her hocks, but they aren't infected and won't be a problem to treat.
Both buns are overweight, and I think Pansy is quite old as her haunches are slighly sunken. She also has a fair amount of grey hair and the hair itself feels "thin" and stark. I'll post the latest photos later.

Last edited:
Look at this lovely face, and those beautiful eyes.
DSC02505.jpg

Who'd imagine such a gorgeous bun would be hiding this:
DSC02502.jpg

DSC02501.jpg

I wish I'd taken photos before we cleaned her up!
Here she is climbing back into her Barnsley hutch, hopefully feeling a bit better!
DSC02515.jpg

Here's the pretty Pansy..no sign of mites, just a few pressure sores and, of course, 2 worrying lumps!
DSC02507.jpg

DSC02506.jpg

Unfortunately she's not got a nice run and will for the moment be confined to her small 4ft hutch, but it is so much better than what she'd been in. Neither bun will be allowed out onto the grass anyway until they've had their jabs.

Hope the lumps turm out to be nothing. My 6 YO Pippa has inoperable tumours....we thought that she would only last a few months but she is still here 5 months later and bright as a button.

Fingers crossed for you X

Hilda..love both names!
The urine scald on Sapphire isn't as bad as a lot of cases I've seen and although must be very uncomfortable for her should soon get better:D

Keeping everything crossed for Pansy's vet visit..
jusr remember to keep them away from your bunnies and their areas.. and disinfect inbetween handling..you probably know this already!:oops:

Well done to you both for wanting to help these rabbits..look forward to meeting them..and you!:D

No worries Jill. Rog and Gordon are handling Floss and Bournville for me and their run will be kept the the back garden as Sapphire and Pansy will be kept at the front of the house for the time being.I've a large area of lawn (40'x80')at the front as well which these two will be allowed on when they've had the all clear. Pansy scoffed her ss pellets this morning but Sapphire hasn't..she was more interested running in and out of the hutch! She is eating hay, raspberry and strawberry leaves so that's a relief as I really didn't want to put her back on the meusli mix she'd been fed on.

Back