• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet bed - what are the advantages?

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
I've just seen Jane's new green vet bed, and it's got me wondering about it again...
What are the advantages of vet bed? I've seen it at the rescue, but it's only used for recovering bunnies there.
Do you guys use it for everyday use? Does it keep them warmer than other coverings like carpet or hay?
What is a reasonable price to pay?

Thanks!

I line my hutches with vetbed :D Its nice and comfy for the buns to lay on and I just stick it in the washing machine each week :D They have had the same bits in the hutches for months now. The reason I put it in there in the first place was when the girlies went in for their spays and ive just kept it in there :lol: Its so much easier than sweeping bedding of the hutch floor when cleaning out and if they do pee on it the top dries really quickly. Mine are litter trained though so it doesnt happen often :D

They have bits in the house aswell to sleep on. I personally think its worth the money because mine are pretty much on it most of the day inside and outside the house, and its saved me buying a whole load of carefresh which is what I used to put on the hutch floors :D

I use cheap lookilike pet fleece from wilkinsons pet section - I put it on the concrete floor of my bunny shed in winter. The good thing about it is the backing wicks away the moisture, so the top is always nice and warm and dry. Best to put it in a pillowcase secured with a hairband when in the washing machine though - might be coincidence but mine broke :? I always brush off the hair and fluff and hay with a hand brush up the garden before washing too. Then I need a bath - especially if they peed on it :shock:

I use cheap lookilike pet fleece from wilkinsons pet section - I put it on the concrete floor of my bunny shed in winter. The good thing about it is the backing wicks away the moisture, so the top is always nice and warm and dry. Best to put it in a pillowcase secured with a hairband when in the washing machine though - might be coincidence but mine broke :? I always brush off the hair and fluff and hay with a hand brush up the garden before washing too. Then I need a bath - especially if they peed on it :shock:

yeh I have to brush all the bunny fur off and hoover out the bits of hay they have chucked on it and walked all over before I wash it :D

i use vetbed just because it is thick and snuggly. the main advantage is that if an animal wees on it the liquid is drawn away from the surface to the top stays dry so the animal isnt slepping in wet. i have got a huge shee ready to be cut up for solo when his cage arrived :D i love the stuff although i have a bit of an addiction to buying it :oops: i think i have bought at least 5 large sheets :oops: :oops: .... in the last year :oops: :oops: :lol:

i use vetbed just because it is thick and snuggly. the main advantage is that if an animal wees on it the liquid is drawn away from the surface to the top stays dry so the animal isnt slepping in wet. i have got a huge shee ready to be cut up for solo when his cage arrived :D i love the stuff although i have a bit of an addiction to buying it :oops: i think i have bought at least 5 large sheets :oops: :oops: .... in the last year :oops: :oops: :lol:

It'd make great carpet though wouldn't it - or a mattress topper :p I actually cut up some old bits and made linings for my wellies last winter - no chilblains for once in my life!

i love the stuff although i have a bit of an addiction to buying it :oops: i think i have bought at least 5 large sheets :oops: :oops: .... in the last year :oops: :oops: :lol:

Me too :oops: :lol: I have loads in the shed, under the stairs, under my bed and in my wardrobe :oops: My mum keeps telling me to stop buying it :roll:

It'd make great carpet though wouldn't it - or a mattress topper :p I actually cut up some old bits and made linings for my wellies last winter - no chilblains for once in my life!

ooo thats a good idea :D i always say it would make lovely carpet :lol: so much better now you can get vetbed other than white! :lol: the car crate have blue w/paw prints, rabbits have brown w/paws solo has black w/paws the other car is plain grey. i really wanted to get purple vet bed which i will probably get next time :lol:

That's a good idea about the pillowcase, Elve. I'm sick of cleaning it out of my washing machine!! I use it for the piggies in the colder months, but the bunnies hate it (they throw it around! :roll: )

Those who use Vetbed - are your rabbits indoor or outdoor bunnies? I have thought about it for our outdoor bunnies. Doesn't it get too warm for them in the summer? Do you all tend to have two pieces so that when one is in the wash the other is in use?

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread.:oops:

Taz and Jack have a piece of vetbed on one side of their hutch, and Taz loves it. I bought 2 pieces from PAH :)oops: - wanted them quickly), and I just alternate them - 1 in the hutch, 1 in the washer.

i have a piece i got from vaga valley..which isnt real vetbed..and a pice from the dog inn..also not acual vetbed stuff.

i am ok with it.it draws fluid away..and is soft etc..BUT the hay sticks so much in it i have to pull it out with tweezers!! fur still stays on even after hoovering..berties the culprit there! i have damaged my washing machine 3 times in the last 2 years with fur clogging it!

so i handwashed the fleece and drip dried it...wasnt as nice as washe and tumbled!!

Is the vet bed ok with squishy poos a lot as bif has a gut problem rooted in severe stress disorders.....i usually let the poos dry them hoover them off or pul themoff and then hoover the sftuff and wash it.

my hallway is full of bags of bedding awaiting washing! once ive rewshed the wet smely washing i forgot inthe machine i can start on a few beds.
if you have a lidl near you keep and eye out.ours tomorrow has pet fleeces for £3.99..i get some evry time..theyre massive! i use them as rugs around the house as rugs is what cats n buns like to snooze on the best where you will fall over them:lol:

Back