• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeders...

petticoat74

Alpha Buck
Gonna open a can of worms now, I know...:roll: :rolleyes: :roll: But would you EVER be tempted to buy a bun from a breeder, if it were a bun you really wanted and it was a caring breeder....

Yes and i just have done. I wanted to buy a very well bred rabbit, who's parentage lines i could trace back, and also so that i could show her.

Yes, I got my bun from a breeder as the local rescue only allowed you to have two bunnies and I only wanted one at the time. The breeder I got her from was very knowledgeable and asked quite a few questions to make sure I knew how to care for a rabbit.

No. I won't to go to a breeder when they're just adding to the number of buns in the world when there are so many rabbits sitting in rescues waiting for a home and a second chance.

x

buy? No...The only breeder I know (by association) gives animals away to my sister so I'd just make a comment like "Oh Sam don't you just love that bun" while one of the two staff she knows is there....Then walk away with a bunny and maybe a cage for free...

I prefer rescuing animals myself, or buying an already rescued rabbit. But I much prefer rescuing because then the bunny builds up a bond with me as we work though problems together.

No i would never go to a breeder. There are so many rabbits in rescues if you look hard enough there will always be the breed of rabbit you want in a rescue somewhere.

Yes, I have bought a Rabbit from a Breeder. Lord Lopsley, my first Velveteen. I bought Lopsley because I specifically wanted him.
I got shot down in flames for doing it !!

I do think that a *good* Rescue is the best place to obtain a Bun. But if someone has their heart set on a particular breed then a *good* Breeder is certainly better than a Pet Shop

Janex

Yes I agree you can get nearly any breed from rescues, nearly any age - but you may have to wait patiently for a while and some people want things NOW and regard a certain type of rabbit as a must-have, so that's the niche filled by breeders.

You don't want to know what I think of breeders :mrgreen: The people who buy from them are just looking for something different to what I was looking for when I got my 'hard to home' bunnies from rescues - I would say our motives for getting a rabbit were totally different, and breeders cater for people who have something specific in mind they want - whereas I wasn't after that at all.

I did pay cash (nearly £200) for all my pigs, breeding unit and transport from a breeder, but only because I knew she was giving up and wanted to sell it on to another breeder as a 'going concern'. Shall we say I was vague about my intentions until the piggies were safely in my kitchen :D They arrived in this - all of 18"x18" by 9" head room per pair, babies, pregnant and the lot - 14 crammed in (cage on top is mine)

unit.jpg

She also bred rabbits and had whittled her numbers down from 35 breeding does :shock: to 2, but once she knew I wasn't going to use them (use being the word it all hinges on for me) for breeding, she wouldn't let me have them :(

Well, i wouldnt get a bunny from someone who mass breeds rabbits just to make money. I would however, get one from a breeder if they were responsible and carings, and knowledgeable. Although i do support adoption, i will always be open minded. I dont think people who breed are bad people, as long as they are responsible.

The original poster said "caring breeder...."

The type of breeder you refer to elve is not a responsible caring breeder!

The breeder i got my bun from was both caring and responsible and only breeds to better the breed. Her buns are not kept in tiny cages/hutches but are kept in 6ft x 4 x 3 hutches which she has specially made, and two buns are kept in wendy house conversions. They are fed top quality food and all are rehomed with a full comprehensive care book and lifetime back up.

Yes, I'd consider going to a responsible breeder. For health issues rather than for a particular look though.

Tam

I know many people will jump on my back for this. And im not saying people dont need to adopt cus they do. But imagine if EVERYONE, stopped breeding rabbit, for pet stores, breeders, anything, then there would be any bunnies anywhere! So i think the solution is a responsible breeder, and people being more aware of what they are taking on. I think people who desert/abandon/neglect rabbits are at fault, not the breeders. This doesnt mean i wont adopt, i just think breeders, as long as they are responsible, decent an honest, are not @ fault.

I'm unlikely to, but I wouldn't rule it out. As others have said, for health reasons, not for looks.

I know many people will jump on my back for this. And im not saying people dont need to adopt cus they do. But imagine if EVERYONE, stopped breeding rabbit, for pet stores, breeders, anything, then there would be any bunnies anywhere! So i think the solution is a responsible breeder, and people being more aware of what they are taking on. I think people who desert/abandon/neglect rabbits are at fault, not the breeders. This doesnt mean i wont adopt, i just think breeders, as long as they are responsible, decent an honest, are not @ fault.

Agreed. we need breeders to keep the rabbit population going, but we do only need the responsable ones. We can shoot all of the evil ones :p

I somehow think there would be an endless supply of bunnies just from people having mis-sexed pairs, without breeders deliberately mating them - no worry of there ever being no rabbits :?

No, I would never buy from a breeder, in fact I don't think I would ever even rehome a breeder's excess stock for free.

I would gladly reduce my numbers to just one pair of house rabbits, possibly even none at all

BUT...there's always going to be rabbits who need rescuing :(
And I've built up so much rabbit knowledge that it would be a shame not to provide a home to a few unwanted buns.

Amy

I'd rather cut out the mis-sexed pairs that breed to young, usually from pet shop rabbits with poor health and teeth complaints than I would responsible breeders that breed healthy rabbits.

It might be easier to track down the responsible breeders but I don't think they should get shut down for being responsible and pet owners should get away with breeding 'cos it was an accident.

Tam

Back