• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dirty bottom

Why oh why does Charm keep getting a dirty bottom!
Ok I know why, he's making some squidgy poos despite having a tonne of hay available 24/7 but I don't know why he's making squidgy poos as well as hard ball poos.

Doesn't Charm have teeth problems?

Most bunnies with teeth problems get knock-on problems like not being able to clean themselves properly. You'll have to check his bum over daily, and clean it whenever needed.

Amy

um he has two teeth that are only barely there and haven't grown in over a month that we're going to see the vet about once my pay check clears, but the rest of his teeth are ok now.

It's usually front (incisor) teeth problems that make them unable to clean themselves.

I'm not sure if there's anything you can really do about it, other than regular bum baths. The vet might advise you to have the teeth removed, but this won't really make it easier to keep him clean.

What dry food do you use? Some brands are known to cause excess poops.

Amy

Well he seems to be cleaning his throat and front paws, and has recently started cleaning his tummy, he just very rarely even goes near his bum. But whilst writing this post something just occured to me...

When I first got him his fur was falling out and tangled and a mess and he never washed. As I've started grooming him more he's started grooming himself more...Could this be a part in it?

He's fed supa rabbit excel as he refuses point blank to eat pets at home and I don't want to waste more money trying other foods (as he will literally just starve himself if he doesn't like it) buying different brands. Well unless it is his food and someone can recomend better that he will eat.

Last edited:
Excel is know for causing excess caecal poops in some bunnies - I would try science selective. When they don't have incisors they can't get the caecal poop out as easily either, so it tends to get squished if they haven't figured out the 'do it on the floor, turn around and eat it' method which some bunnies seem to favour. I'm pretty sure it's the excel though as I hear the same thing every week on this forum and science selective usually clears up the problem - although with Charm it could be his poopy eating method - not much you can do about that unless he can follow a diagram :)

Another reason they do this is if they are overweight - they can't reach around the spare tyre to their poopies - you'd be the best judge of his weight but I aim to keep my bunnies fairly slim - when their head looks too small for their body they are overweight :)

I can still feel charms bones protruding. He's not over weight. He's heavy at just under a stone (when I got him, he went drastically down and has been comming back up and now feels how he felt then) but he's a big bunny so he's still underweight.

We had this problem with both our bunnies but especially Smudge. He had to have his incisors removed in December 2004 which didn't help him but it was also their diet. They were being given Excel Junior and Dwarf but we weaned them onto Science Selective and they now only get a handful between them in the afternoon. Treats are now limited and their diet is only a small variety of vegetables and a lot more hayinstead of loads of different kinds of stuff.

Blackberry leaves are a good way of getting their guts sorted out too.

Also, if your bag of Excel is still in date you can contact the manufacturer and give details required (see the back of the bag) and if you explain that it is making your bunny have runny poos you will get a refund for the price you paid for the bag of food. I seem to think we sent a copy of the receipt and a sample of the food too. Good luck.

We had this problem with both our bunnies but especially Smudge. He had to have his incisors removed in December 2004 which didn't help him but it was also their diet. They were being given Excel Junior and Dwarf but we weaned them onto Science Selective and they now only get a handful between them in the afternoon. Treats are now limited and their diet is only a small variety of vegetables and a lot more hayinstead of loads of different kinds of stuff.

Blackberry leaves are a good way of getting their guts sorted out too.

Also, if your bag of Excel is still in date you can contact the manufacturer and give details required (see the back of the bag) and if you explain that it is making your bunny have runny poos you will get a refund for the price you paid for the bag of food. I seem to think we sent a copy of the receipt and a sample of the food too. Good luck.

Yeah my food is still in date, I only bought it this week...I'll look for the receipt, thanks.

Back