• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - new bunny owner needs advice

Ian'n'Chris

Young Bun
We have just bought our first rabbit. It is a male 18 week old dwarf lop which we bought as a 'rescue pet'. When we bought him, he needed to be castrated, which we had done the next day by a very reputable vet. He is an only rabbit and there have never been any other animals living in our apartment as it is a new build.
We have only had him for a couple of weeks and are a little worried about one particular behaviour pattern. Whenever Christena my girlfriend picks him up and strokes him on her knee, he has on occasion pee'd on her which we know is normal and we are then putting him straight into his litter tray as we have been told to do (he is a house rabbit and will ultimately have the run of the house throughout the day). The only problem is, that on the two occasions I have picked him up and put him on my knee and stroked him, he has pee'd within 30 seconds and the pee is a very milky white colour (no laughing at this stage please). I can hazard a fairly good guess as to what this is, but do not know why he is doing it to me only, or how to stop this, other than put him in his litter tray as normal.
Please can anyone tell me, have they had a similar experience, or do they know what to do. He is not attempting to 'hump' my leg at any stage, his little indescretion simply happens.:oops:

Don't worry - bunnies wee varies in colour from bright red to white and all shades of yellow and orange - depending on what they've eaten :D

I agree with Elve, rabbit wee is a rainbow! I think white wee is usually caused by a bit too much calcium, have you been feeding him lots of parsley/kale?

His main food we are giving him is junior rabbit nuggets from pets at home. He also loves broccolli, and we may have been overdoing the treats (cos he was new at home at the time), which are 'treat-ums' and 'egg biscuits. We have eased off the treats and are moving more on to carrot pellets and herbs as treats now.

Has he any hay, as a baby he can have unlimited pellets, but when hes over 6 months he'll need a mainly hay diet and limited pellets. You'd be better off feeding him either excel, science selective or Allen and Page pellets which have a nice high fibre content.

Bunnies, are herbivores, so you may want to throw out egg biscuits any any treats with milk in them. ;)

I think milky pee is normal, so long as its not constant, or has crystals in it, but I'm not 100% sure. As for Brocolli, its quite gassy so you don't want to over fed it. If you have a look at the bunny care reference section, you should find a post on other safe veggies.:D

Yes he has unlimited supply of hay both as bedding and in a feeder on the side of his cage. We are using more natural products as treats now, instead of the manufactured type ones. we will definately lay-off the egg biscuits now following that advice thanks very much. It is still early days for finding which vegetables he likes, so unfortunately broccolli is a big favourite of his, as is red peppers, but we have read up what we are not supposed to give him and are working through the others slowly to see what he does/doesnt like.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice. Will certainly see you all on here again now whenever i need more info (chich I am sure I will as time goes on)

Hi Ian..you are not far from me! :D

the milky colour can be due to too much calcium in the diet so i would stop the broccoli and no dandelions for a while..
as others have said pellets and lots of good quality hay ..no pet shop treats as thye are bad for bunnies..A small amount of spring green, savoy cabbage , carrot..very small amount of apple, ..can give celery and cucumber, rocket and watercress..coriander most bunnies love..do remember to wash it all well as you would for yourself due to the amount of pesticides sprayed on crops...

look forward to pics of your new bun:D

out of interest you say "bought as a rescue pet" was this Pets At home "Adoption" corner???

I read on Beebops reply that a young rabbit cam have unlimited supply of pellets. Im really confused i thought they could only have a little. Help put me right someone.

In response to HunnyBunny, yes he came from adoption corner at Pets at Home.
Photos will be posted soon, once I have worked out how to use this site properly etc.

Thanks for advice

Ian, Chris & Clyde

This is really gross but if you touch the wee and rub it between your fingers you may find it has a chalky, gravelly consistancy.....this indicates a build up of calcium.

While rabbits naturally excrete a certain amount of excess calcium which is nothing to worry about, gravelly urine often indicates that the diet is too rich in calcium and could lead to problems such as kidney stones and blockages.

I believe foods high in calcium are brocolli, spinach, Kale and some varieties of cabbage.

hello, see most folk have given you advice about foods and pellets but no one has mentioned anything about being peed on! one of my rabbits did this when i first got her. initially she would just poop all over me but then she starting peeing on me too. i just took it that she was marking me as her territory as i was the only one that got this type of attention from her plus she would lick my face and hands non stop! she doesn't do it now that she's in an outside hutch but she still gives me kisses:)

Back