• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How heavy should Charly be?

kath w

Warren Scout
Can anyone advise (roughly) how much Charly should way. He is a 12 week old lionhead. Although when we took him to the vet the receptionist has never seen a lionhead with brown on him!!!
Thanks Kath

I'd like to know that too?
My Lionheads are 16 weeks old, one of them has a really fluffy coat so sometimes he looks overweight. I was at the vet a week ago getting their vaccines but the vet never weighed him. He just said they both seem fine.

No the vet didn't weigh him. I should of asked but we were so worried about him i didn't think. He is so thin he feels really boney!:(

Both of you should have had your bunnys weighted by the vet. If it's the first time a vet has seen an animal they should give them a general check over, this includes weighing them, looking in their ears, mouth/teeth, genitals and having a listen to the heart. If they didn't do at least a few of these things i would consider looking around for another vet.

We can't tell you how much because it varies a lot. With a rabbit a few hundred grams lighter could just be a smaller rabbit or one very under weight.

Tam

I don't know for sure but i think the vet didn't do a full health check because Charly was so poorly. He did check his teeth and listen to his heart but i don't think he wanted to fuss with Charly too much and stress him further. Once he is fully over this GI thing i will be taking him back for his jab i will make sure he weighs him then. Thanks anyway.

Back