• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ruby has a LRTI

Ruby has been sneezing for a few weeks now, at first she was put on a 14 day treatment of marbocyl and after that the vet recommend leaving her to see if she improved. Initially she did, however these past few days she has become worse again.

I took her to the vets this morning but it's not good news. :( It turns out Ruby has a Lower Respiratory infection which the vet suspects to be pasturella. He spent ages explaining to me the state of her lungs and how basically she can never recover from this, she will always have flare-ups of infections due to the abscesses in her lungs and will have to be treated for them for the rest of her life. He checked over Millie and said she is ok, but I need to keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't become ill as well.

I was so shocked at this news all the questions I wanted to ask flew out my head, including if she should have a culture to confirm this. I don't want to stress her out any more though by bringing her straight back in, so I'll ask when she next goes in. She has been put back on the marbocyl to see if it fights this infection.

I am so scared for my girl, it doesn't look good. :cry: Please send vibes for her, and does anyone have any advice? I have never dealt with LRTI or pasturella before but from what I've heard neither sound good. I'm just hoping that maybe he was wrong about the pasturella. :cry:

Awww poor Ruby :( Jane might know what to do - she's got a few bunnies with pasteurella so maybe PM her?

Awwwww Jess I am sorry :cry:

Its good that the Vet has put Ruby back on Marbocyl. Hopefully that will get the infection under control. Sometimes a Bronchodilating medication can help open up the airways so if Ruby looks to be struggling I would ask your Vet about this.
Also, administering abx via a nebuliser can be effective. But you have to weigh up the benefits against the potential stress Ruby may feel at being nebulised.
I know you always ensure your girls have a good diet and that will def' help as optimum nutrition is always needed when a Bun has a chronic infection.
Try not to feel too despondent, easier said than done I know, but some Buns symptoms do improve on treatment. Its impossible to know how advanced the disease is without an X-ray and if Ruby were mine I dont think I'd stress her out by putting her through that. I'd just treat symptomatically (having got the OK from our Vet)
Do PM me if you need a bit of moral support

Janex :)

Thanks guys, it means a lot. :)

Jane, thank you so much! I am being given so much information from different sources that I am wondering what is best, so your post really helped. I know an x-ray would be best for diagnosis but I agree with you, the stress it will cause would far outway the good imo.:? Also what do you think about getting a culture done? And also do you think she is best staying on the Marbocyl or changing to a different drug? I'm so confused at the moment!:shock:

And thanks, I may have to take up that offer of a PM ;)

Thanks guys, it means a lot. :)

Jane, thank you so much! I am being given so much information from different sources that I am wondering what is best, so your post really helped. I know an x-ray would be best for diagnosis but I agree with you, the stress it will cause would far outway the good imo.:? Also what do you think about getting a culture done? And also do you think she is best staying on the Marbocyl or changing to a different drug? I'm so confused at the moment!:shock:

And thanks, I may have to take up that offer of a PM ;)

Well if the infection is on her lungs then a culure is not really an option.
Marbocyl brought about improvement last time didn't it?
Hopefully Ruby will respond to it gain.
There are other abx which your Vet could try, including long acting tetracycline injections and Penicillin Injections. With either of these I would advise you ask your Vet to prescribe QUESTRAN (Cholestyramine) to give aswell. This med will help mop up the 'bad' gut bacteria that can over-produce when a Bun is on a heavy duty abx

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

Janex

I think the marbocyl did improve Ruby's condition, it took a while but in the end she did improve. It was after she has been off it a while that she became worse again.:?

Do you think keeping her on the marbocyl for the rest of the treatment (she has a 20ml bottle and has 1.5ml a day) is a good idea and then seeing what she is like after? If there is no improvement I will definitely ask about the tetracycline and Penicillin Injections (and the Cholestyramine) as an alternative drug to the marbocyl.

I think the marbocyl did improve Ruby's condition, it took a while but in the end she did improve. It was after she has been off it a while that she became worse again.:?

Do you think keeping her on the marbocyl for the rest of the treatment (she has a 20ml bottle and has 1.5ml a day) is a good idea and then seeing what she is like after? If there is no improvement I will definitely ask about the tetracycline and Penicillin Injections (and the Cholestyramine) as an alternative drug to the marbocyl.

I'd get the Vet to have another listen to Ruby's chest after 7-10 days on the Marbocyl. If there is no improvement at all you could ask about the other abx. But if the Vet says Ruby's chest is sounding a bit better it may just be a case of keeping her on the Marbocyl for longer.
I'd also keep a check on Ruby's weight. She needs to be maintaining it.

Janex

My bun Pipkin had that, he got it around 7-8 weeks old and by 9 weeks he was so ill, he had to be put to sleep :cry:
Best of luck with your bun xx

I'd get the Vet to have another listen to Ruby's chest after 7-10 days on the Marbocyl. If there is no improvement at all you could ask about the other abx. But if the Vet says Ruby's chest is sounding a bit better it may just be a case of keeping her on the Marbocyl for longer.
I'd also keep a check on Ruby's weight. She needs to be maintaining it.

Janex

Thanks Jane, you are such a great help!:D

Back