• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do - bun on the run? Updated!

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hello,
I need a bit of advice. On Thursday morning i spotted a bunny hopping about my street so stopped and knocked on a few doors to see if anyone knew about it. One guy said "oh yeh its ours. its escaped about a month ago and we can't catch it." :shock: I presumed he might make an effort to catch it again, but I've seen the bunny again today and I can't leave it just hopping about.

I went to the house just now to offer to help the guy catch and return the bunny, but theres no-one home. Should I go back round and try to catch it myself (I know thats virtually impossible anyway - you need a team of people :lol: ) so should i try to catch bunny myself, or wait till theres someone home and ask if he wants help, or wait till my OH is home and go round then armed with carriers and food to spring a trap??

Poor bunny. I don't actually believe its been out for a month as he looks in good condition, but theres too many predators around here to leave him out any longer. :cry:

Last edited:
I would go and try catching the bunny if the guy was home or not :D I cant really see a bunny just hopping around teh same street for a month without anything happening to it though so maybe he was exagerating :?

He sounds very irresponsible though if he knows his rabbit is loose on a street and hasnt bothered to catch the bunny :?

Good luck though, I have trouble catching my bunnies in the back garden :shock: x

it's a bit bad that they are sitting around for a month. i'd be there all day every day until i caught it. i wouldn't let my bun run around the streets for a month. i wouldn't sleep. wait to see if they want help. if they don't seem too bothered, get your oh and report them that they haven't bothered to get it back with your help.

Oooh. :shock: Well - if it was me - I know I'd be haunted by the thought of the bunny hopping around out there. So even if you don't believe you can catch it alone, maybe you could take a look around and see where it's staying? And then, when help is available, go set a trap.

I'm not sure what you'd do with it after, though... Because the current owners sound, er, delightful and everything... but obviously don't care... Would I seem completely without morals if I said I think you should try and find it a new home? These people obviously don't care what happens to their pet if they've let it run free, and run the risk of death every day...

Yeh I thought he was trying to keep his "man points" by acting not too bothered - I did wonder though. I'm with you on how hard it is catch then but after a month of trying you'd think he'd be able to catch a little bunny?

So I'll just post a message through the door saying "I have your bunny" !!! :lol:

I think I'll go see if they're home yet and if I get a reply like "we're not bothered about catching it" then I'll have a go, or help him catch it if he wants it back. :?

I'm not sure what you'd do with it after, though... Because the current owners sound, er, delightful and everything... but obviously don't care... Would I seem completely without morals if I said I think you should try and find it a new home? These people obviously don't care what happens to their pet if they've let it run free, and run the risk of death every day...

Thats whats bothering me most - I've got no right to walk off with his bunny have I? I only know whats right for the bun. :?

I dont think I would wait to see if they want help, they could be out all day and anything could happen to the bun :( It doesnt sound to me like they want help if the bun is still out there anyway, if one of mine got out onto the street the last thing I would do is just leave them there and go out :?

Do you have any other neighbours who could help you catch the bunny? Surely this is enough of a reason for the rspca or someone to take the bun anyway if its been out since Thursday morning and he doesnt seem to bothered

There are people with better morals than I on here. But I believe, in these situations, that when someone is aware their animal is loose - in the case of a rabbit, or guinea pig which is in danger of death and or/serious injury without human protection - then they've more or less disowned it anyway. If the owner is not trying to get the animal back, then they've given up on it... It's not like it got out and then vanished. It sounds like he is aware it's still around, but hasn't made much of an effort to recatch the bunny. I'd assume - because I rarely see the best in these people - that he isn't too fond of the rabbit, or concerned for its welfare. It's environment may have been a less than secure one.. though anything tiny can make this so, someone might have left a gate open. But I still don't see why he wouldn't try catching it himself if he knew it was alive.

Thats whats bothering me most - I've got no right to walk off with his bunny have I? I only know whats right for the bun. :?

If you do manage to catch the bun and tell him you have it I would try and have a word with him about keeping them secure, you dont want to return the bunny to him and then see it hopping up and down the street again next week ;)

I've caught it!! Just walked up to the little fella and picked him up. I'm shaking still. What do i do now - the people aren't at home still??

Aww well done, you should feel really good, he's going to be safe tonight, not wondering if he's going to be fox food! That's brilliant. Can you keep him in a spare hutch cage tonight? does he look ok, no injuries or under weight or anything? You should tell the owners when they get back that you've got him, but maybe test the water to see if they are actually interested in his welfare and keeping him safe, otherwise as has already been said, you've made all this effort only for him to escape again and that would be awful. Well done again!! Good on you.:D :D

One thing I would say is though, just in case he's been in contact with any disease, I'd keep him away from your own buns. If this guy didn't care if he got out, sounds like he probably wouldn't bother with vaccinations?

Last edited:
Thanks! Poor little thing is soaked through :cry:

I've put him/her in a puppy pen on the patio for now with a cover over, a carry box with hay and some food and water.

I've not had a proper look at it yet, thought i'd let it settle as it struggled all the way home (i had to carry it as I only went to talk to the guy!)

How much separation do i need between "him" and my own buns? I've got pairs inside and outside but only have a spare indoor hutch.

Well done Kerry, if you have somewhere to keep the rabbit, I'd guess I'd keep him and put a note through the door, then it is up to them if thye want to claim him back..

Good luck!

Jx

OK - note is through the door - do you know how hard it is to make it not sound like a ransom!!! :lol:

Just a nail biting wait to see if the guy turns up now.... :?

I know you have put a note through the door so its a bit late :lol: - but I would have asked him '' If anyones manages to catch it - would you like him back or to go to a good home ? '' and play like you havent caught it yet and find out what his reaction was.
Anyways at least this little chap is safe for a night, and might have the best night he has ever had.!

Its a girl and shes in surprisingly good nick! A few mites, but nose, ears, bum etc ok after a quick look over her. Easy to handle and friendly, bless her.

Shes not keen on any pellets though - i might have to dig up my garden if thats what shes been used to eating!

I think removing a bun from a hutch is a bit naughty but picking one up that has been left to roam around is rescuing it, if it was me I think I would tell them that I've caught it because I didn't want a fox to get it.

I'm impressed! Go you! ^-^

Extra karma points for you for catching her and e nsuring her night is not spent dodging predators.

I suppose, if the owner arrives and wants to take her back, you could tell him that it might be best to ensure it doesn't happen again...? Maybe point out how she could easily have been hurt or killed?

Surely if they left it wandering they dont deserve it back, if that was my bunny i would cry my heart out if it had escaped and i couldnt catch it. The other day my bun Hattie broke her door into the garden and her and all the babies escaped and i was terrified! I knew it was highly unlikely they would escape the garden but the very thought scared the hell outta me :shock: But me and my mum managed to catch the little devils. My cousin found a angora a few years ago just wandering the streets and couldnt find the owner so she kept it. Anyway good luck!

Back