• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pet insurance?

Insurance will not cover any existing problems so you will still have to pay for his teeth yourself.

Some insureres also have 'get out' clauses for rabbits relating to dentistry.....they simply wont cover it.

Instead of paying for insurance I put money into a vet bill bank account each month :D That way I will have the money there no matter what they are at the vets for :D

If it helps, I'm with Petplan and have so far claimed on Pasteurella related problems, an ear infection, and e.cuniculi. Although most insurers will not cover teeth and none will cover existing illnesses, I believe mine will cover teeth related things provided they have a dental check once a year and if anything needs doing at these dental checks (urgent or not) it has to be done at the time. I've just checked and it says that will not pay: "The cost of dental treatment unless your pet has had its teeth checked by a vet no longer than 12 months before the onset date of the claim. If any treatment was recommended as a result of the check this must have been carried out."

Hope that helps for the future. I know it doesn't help for your current bunny.

I think the excess differs depending on postcode. But ours is a whopping £60. All in all though, taking out pet insurance on 2 rabbits (costing £120ish per year per rabbit), has been worth while for us and we're quite skint in the grand scheme of things, so the pressure is off when we have to go to the vets and they start mentioning xrays.

Oh...another tip for you guys, check out quidco.com for cashback offers. I cancelled Gizmos insurance with petplan (he's not had a claim yet, so don't need to worry about lifetime cover) as we got quoted £127 for the renewal, and through the petplan website as a new customer it was £111, and we also got £35 cashback through quidco. Bargain :)

Back