• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex

ecudc

Warren Veteran
Hi there, we've started the big rabbit companion hunt and just went to see a lovely rex at BARKS however I don't know very much about rex as a breed. I know that they can have feet problems (she would be on a hard floor most of the day and access to carpet for about 4 hours a day) but is there anything else I should know about?

Nah, rexes are just like any other rabbit if you ask me, with an extraordinary soft fur coat.
One thing is they can be very active, by my experience anyhow (I have two, and my school breeds them)

Rexes are a gorgeous breed. They are very prone to sore hocks and dont do well on carpet as its very abbrassive.
Some Rexes can have poor eyesight (often the Orange Rexes) as a result of line breeding :)evil: ) and so if you meet an 'aggressive' Rex its always worth getting a Vet to check the Buns eyesight.
My personal experience of Rexes is that they can have a more delicate GI tract to other Buns but as far as I can tell there is no scientific proof of this.
I have also seen several cases of Heart Disease in Rexes but again I suspect that was the result of irresponsible line breeding.
My very first Rabbits were Rexes and they will always hold a special place in my heart :D

Janex

I have no experience of keeping them but saw one for the first time at the weekend, it was a very beautiful looking bunny

Thanks all,

Partly becuase of the carpet thing and partly due to size, we decided not to get Gemma, although she was lovely and friendly too. I would highly recomend her and the other buns at BARKS to anyone looking for a bun at the moment.

Back