• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Picking up my Rabbit

bunnytyke

New Kit
Hi,

I am having problems picking up my rabbit, she is about 18 weeks old. We got her when she was 10 weeks old and loved to be picked up. Now she just runs away. It is only in the last 2 weeks since she has started to do this. Does anyone know why ?

Hello,

Every rabbit is different, some don't mind being picked up but most do mind. Becasue they are prey animals, the only time they'd get picked up in the wild is when they were about to be eaten. Your buns instincts are probably kicking in. How is she in general? You could try spending time with her on the floor at her level so she knows you aren;t a threat and letting her walk on you. Mine have got a lot better since doing this but still don;t like being picked up.

She's probably just telling you that she'd rather not be picked up. Rabbits generally don't like being held, they prefer to have their feet on they ground - they feel more secure. Her confidence and trust in you would grow if you sat with her on the floor and stroked her and let her climb over you instead, this way she'll learn to trust you and won't run off because she thinks she's going to be picked up. Once she trusts you more she may let you hold her :) x

Thank you very much for your advice.

We do let her in the house most evenings for a run round and she jumps up onto our knees. But she hasn't been in much the last week, due to me having a operation. It just seems to have been the last 2 weeks that she's decided " I don't want picking up anymore". I'll take your advice onboard and spend time on the floor with her and see how it goes.

If she was hoping on to your knee before that is a great start! A little bit of work should go along way, just be patient with her. :D

Charlie's not too keen on being picked up sometimes either. We take our lead from him and getting down to his level certainly helped us. I've also noticed that whilst he loves coming up on our knee for a cuddle on an evening, he prefers it he comes to us and he sits half on and half off our knee. He 'allows' himself to be properly pampered then when he's had enough, he licks us before jumping off! Quite bossy these bunnies aren't they?!!

Back