• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns taken from Mum too early...what could happen?

luvabun

Warren Veteran
As you know, depsite my advice and leaflets etc. , a colleague got 2 young bunnies and told me they were 8 weeks old. (She said 8 weeks when, after she originally said 6-7 weeks, I said they shouldn't be away from their Mums before they're 8 weeks old). Now I've put the fear of God into her about what may happen if it's a boy and a girl :rolleyes: she's admitted they were born on the 22nd June.... so she did get them at under 7 weeks. :cry:

They are being well cared for, probably a bit too much as they are getting carrot and posh salad stuff already.

Like Elve said in a similar post... it's like waiting for a train wreck to happen :cry: I'm going to be looking after these little munchkins when the owners go on holiday the beginning of September so what I would like to know is.....

what ailments could befall buns that were taken from Mum too early; would any conditions arising as a result, be apparent already or could they appear at any time (e.g. when I'm looking after them :shock: )

I'm hoping that the fact that they're healthy looking hay eating munchkins now means no damamge has been done
1.gif

Last edited:
I am sure they'll be fine Jill :D

The Boblets were weaned at 4 weeks due to Bobbie being so poorly :cry:
All Boblets have done really well, never had any GI probs (so far ...* touches wood*)

I think as long as the Rexes are kept to a familiar routine re feed/exercise times and no dietry changes are made all will be OK :D
You could put some Avipro-C in their drinking water to support their GI tract.

Do you know the sex of the Buns yet? If there is a Buck then plums could show themself from about 12 weeks. I have not had any Rexes whose plums have dropped younger than that.

Janex :wave:

Last edited:
:wave: thanks Jane... you know what a worrier I am when it comes to all things buns :oops: :lol:

my next worry is the dreaded word... routine. I'll be going about 20 miles out of my way each day to look after them if they stay at home and obviously that will cut into my buns play time as well.... so I was thinking to bring them to mine and keep them in the kitchen but perhaps that's not such a good idea :?

Hmmmm well on the one hand having them with you would mean you could monitor them more. But then again it'd be a big change for the Buns.
Also, they may well smell your Buns and that could cause them to fall out with each other.

If their home accomodation is secure I think I'd feel inclined to leave them there. As long as you can check on them at about the same time every day. Although I think I might worry about not checking on them more than once every 24 hours and its a long way to have to go twice a day.

Soooooooooo, sorry I do all my 'thinking' out loud :oops: , perhaps bringing them back to yours might be a better option. You just need to try to avoid them seeing/hearing/smelling your Buns.

Yes, option 2 is def' what I'd do so as I could monitor them better.

Blimey, I am hopeless at making decisions for myself let alone advising anyone else!! :oops:

Janex

sorry mate, I am going to be totally negative here and advise that these buns go to a appropriate boarding establishment like Lorna's

The reason's being

a/ now knowing their proper age it means that if you had them at yours, they become teen asbo's, are you sure you can cope with the new buck splash wall designs and the au du toileeettt bun aroma:lol:

b/ knowing they will become hormonal around this date also means that they could possibly fight so whether they are at yours, they will need seperating and if you leave them at home alone then serious damage could happen to them until their daily check by you :cry:

c/ If they are boy and girl then the immaculate bun conception could well happen at yours and I couldn't cope with you crying on the phone:lol: :lol: :lol:

d/ A proper boarding establishment will be able to a/ sex them and b/ take appropriate action to seperate them if they are boy and girl or they start to fight;)

e/ Both of them being un-neutered/spayed will cause problems with your gladiators Kiki and Totti bun I feel but I also dont think they should be left at their own home with daily checks for both the fighting and the mating possibilities

If you require any other reasons then please do not hesitate to call my hot-humping-cross-buns helpline:lol: :lol:

Well they sound happy and healthy so far anyway - I don't agree with stressing bunnies out with change, so if possible keep them at their home and make the trip to look after them - having a new carer and routine is going to be hard enough for them to cope with and they could well go into stasis - make sure they are secure at night though as depending where they live, local kids can be horrible when they know you are away - or even when you are there - my hutches look like fort knox at bedtime :?

AAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!! thanks for your replies guys... now I'm even more confused/paranoid :shock:

My shift work has to be taken into account so visiting them would not be at the same time every day.
My kitchen is totally neutral now having just dettoxed it to within an inch of it's life :oops:
Lorna's is not an option... they won't pay for boarding... why should I pay for them :?

Back