• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gorgeous free ad boy

reading between the lines he's too much trouble for her to be able to ignore him like the others - but credit to her she's trying to find him a good home - he looks gorgeous but I bet he's a handful :)

He may well be from a breeder, but that doesn't change how beautiful he is, and I just wanted to share that.

Bobbin came from a breeder and I wouldn't change him for the world, despite him being a little tinker at times :D Given the choice to get a second rabbit I would certainly go to the rescues near me. But every bun needs a loving home and I think this person is only trying to find exactly that, so all credit to her. As we know there are far worse breeders who do much worse things with there unwanted "stock" :cry:

Being a breeder does not automatically make you a bad person ;)
I know a lot of breeders, and they care for their rabbits a lot, just like any other pet owner. Surely there are a lot of rabbits out there needing home, but I'm for serious breeders who breed good-quality-purebreeds instead of backyard breeders who breed just for the sake of having cute little bunnies. There's a slight difference.;)

In danger of sounding extremely annoying, sorry about that, I just can't help but feel a bit offended by the way it seems breeders are seen by some people here.:?
The breeders I know (and trust me they're not few) keep their rabbits in decent sized cages and give them exercise either in large runs or in harnesses. If a baby rabbit comes out with a genetic defect, the whole family is taken out of breeding (mother, father, siblings and sometimes even further out, depending on the breeder and how much the lines are "tested" for defects) Breeding pairs are chosen carefully.

Some people may think baby bunnies are so cute, they decide to take a litter on their bunnies. They have some fun with the kits, before they sell/give them away to the first people who comes by or to a pet store. The babies end up in bad homes or eventually the Rescue shelter.

A good breeder however (in my opinion), would be more picky on who gets the rabbits, perhaps not as picky as a rescue maybe, but they make sure to give the new owners correct information on how to care for the rabbits. When I got Aroma she came with a contract, which said that if I for some reason couldn't keep her anymore, the breeder had 1. right in taking her back.

Certainly, some breeders may put some rabbits to sleep, and many end up at the dinner table, but may I remind you that rabbits (just like pigs and most other farm animals) were originally breed for their meat. The breeders I know who do this would feel better at eating their own animals than others, as they know that they have had a good life ;) In difference from buying their meat from a farmer who may treat his animals as nothing more than "objects".

Are you telling me these are bad people?;)

Being a breeder does not automatically make you a bad person ;)
I know a lot of breeders, and they care for their rabbits a lot, just like any other pet owner. Surely there are a lot of rabbits out there needing home, but I'm for serious breeders who breed good-quality-purebreeds instead of backyard breeders who breed just for the sake of having cute little bunnies. There's a slight difference.;)

I agree with you :D

Yes it sounds like a breeder but they're recommending he be a house rabbit - so no chance of him being confined to a hutch thats too small and they also say 'please contact me he will leave with food care sheet and a lifetime of advice' How can anyone have a problem with that??

Yes it sounds like a breeder but they're recommending he be a house rabbit - so no chance of him being confined to a hutch thats too small and they also say 'please contact me he will leave with food care sheet and a lifetime of advice' How can anyone have a problem with that??

i agree sometimes people on here seem to make comments just for the sake of it! :roll:

I got Isabelle from a breeder who was downsizing and she was in tears when she left my house... so they cant all be bad... That french boy looks so damn cute... if only...:lol: :shock: :lol:

If it weren't for breeders, none of us on here would have the pleasure of experiencing so many lovely types of rabbits. Ok granted, there are far too many people breeding bunnies, and ideally there would only be a few legalized breeders per country say. But being that this is not the case we should appreciate the breeders, at least those of old, who developed such beautiful and varying breeds.

Come on.... look at him! Awwww :D

should have clarified that it screams backyard breeder........

that ad is hardly a lovely endorsement for a caring, conscientious breeder

should have clarified that it screams backyard breeder........

that ad is hardly a lovely endorsement for a caring, conscientious breeder

How?
I don't see any indications that the person is a backyard breeder and not a serious breeder. Any breeder can have "too many" rabbits at a time and want them to get a good loving home.

Not wanting to start a fight or anything, I just don't see what's so horrible about this ad.

I've not had a great deal of contact with breeders but I honestly would not expect a reputable one to be selling their excess stock on free-ads - sorry -

I've not had a great deal of contact with breeders but I honestly would not expect a reputable one to be selling their excess stock on free-ads - sorry -

Where would you expect us to sell them then?

I use the freeads occassionally. If I've got slightly older rabbits I want to move on that are no longer suitable for breeding or pure pet quality rabbits. I have a 2 year old boy I'm trying to find a home for now, hes lovely but I can't use him for breeding anymore because he produces longcoated babies, hes a lovely super friendly boy so i feel he'd be much better off being someones thoroughly spoilt pet. Hopefully hes meeting a spayed French Lop doe in September to see if they'll bond and live together in a huge garden enclosure :) I would never use the freeads to sell Show Quality rabbits - they sell themselves easily enough, but pet homes are a little bit harder to come by. Have to say I've not had much success via the freeads, I put notices up in the local vets too and advertise them on my website. if you can think of better ways for me to advertise them I'm all ears! :D

(Must add I vet all homes carefully, make sure they've got the right size hutches, recommend vaccinations and neutering, ask to be kept in regular contact and to see photos and offer to come round every few months to clip nails and basically check up on the rabbit. They also leave with a 5 page caresheet, all my contact details and the explanation that if they ever don't want their rabbit anymore I will take it back.)

exactly what I thought... surely a reputable breeder would be "controlling" their "stock" and would not need to get rid of it in this way :?

exactly what I thought... surely a reputable breeder would be "controlling" their "stock" and would not need to get rid of it in this way :?

Can you define "controlling"? I read that as culling and I am sure thats not what you meant? :?

Last edited:
Back