• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP!!! rabbits fighting

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
hi, my rabbits fighting tonight as Boo, the male, keepy trying to mate with Angel (female) and they are locking into each other and fighting. I have lifted each up for a cuddle and time out but every time they get near each other in the shed they fight again. There's fur flying and one bit my boyfirend's enkle by mistake when fighting, showing they are ready to bite etc!! i really don't want to separate them but not sure what to do.

Boo is quite often hormonal so am going to call the vets tomorrow for advice, but am reall worried about leaving the overnight.

:?

I assume they are neutered ? Must be something i the air, I've had to separate two of mine today with a broom because they kicked off! There are some very experienced 'bonders' on the forum, so hopefully some one will be able to help:D . I am fortunate to have a spare indoor cage, as I had concerns about overnight injuries, so mine are apart.

Last edited:
yes, angel was done end of 2006 and boo in may

he was always very hormanal. i got him from Sooz and she always said he ws the most randy rabbit she had ever seen.

yes, angel was done end of 2006 and boo in may

he was always very hormanal. i got him from Sooz and she always said he ws the most randy rabbit she had ever seen.

Has anything changed at all in their environment that could have triggered it? I'm not sure what prompted mine to suddenly start, but all I can assume is that it's a territory thing and there's a battle to be boss. They have been together since mid July and were fine, but a few days ago there was a bust up in the shed and it's all gone heywire!

Lots of things can set rabbits off... change in enclosure, smell of a new rabbit, fight over food.

If you can work out what causes it and deal with that it helps. Otherwise there isn't much to do except hope they settle down.

thanks for replies

there is nothing that has changed. It is simply the fact boo keeps trying to boink her! (bless - she IS very pretty!)

we stayed with them for quite a while and i've just checked on them again. Boo is nippling veggies on top of the hutch within the shed, so high up, and angel is on the floor. She will go in the hutch and flop out, legs stretched out too, but when they get near each other they fight. they will go nose-to-nose at first and sty really still for 30 secs, then lock into each other, pushing each other around and knocking each other over then fighting them. :?

thanks for replies

there is nothing that has changed. It is simply the fact boo keeps trying to boink her! (bless - she IS very pretty!)

we stayed with them for quite a while and i've just checked on them again. Boo is nippling veggies on top of the hutch within the shed, so high up, and angel is on the floor. She will go in the hutch and flop out, legs stretched out too, but when they get near each other they fight. they will go nose-to-nose at first and sty really still for 30 secs, then lock into each other, pushing each other around and knocking each other over then fighting them. :?

If you are worried one may be injured in the night, is there anyway you can put up a temporary barrier or something (keep one up and one down? Sorry I don't know what your set up is to offer anything more constructive. Alternatively have you got a spare cage, cat basket or puppy pen for one of them just for the night, so you don't have to be worried ?

the share an 8 foot shed and i have put angels old 4 foot baby-hutch in there. i don't think there is any real way to separate the shed into 2. they have an attched 6 foot run which at least gives them plenty of space for a time-out.

i don't really want to separate them as in bringing angel inside (boo is not house trained) as i don't want to cause any more probs and have to re-bond them in case it doesn't work!! :?

thanks! i'll check on them again in a sec before i go to bed. hopefully they can sort it out without injuring themselves. I will call the vets tomorrow first thing and see what they say.

thanks for everyone's replies...fingers crossed!!! :wave:

Erm....has your new foster rabbit been anywhere near them or has her smell been transferred on you or your clothing? The scent of an unneutered rabbit often sets off pairs....I had it happen last week.

hi sooz, like i said i can't belieeeeve i didn't think of that!! for everyone else's info, my female foster bun is not spayed and i've been a dumb ass and feeding her then going into the shed to do my two, so Boo has obv got the smell! D'oh!! :rolleyes:

Angel is happily living as a house bun again, binkying around the house and terrorising the cat (!) but i've missed having her in the house so much!

oh, and can anyone tell me how much paper is safe for a bunny to eat?! Angel loves the yellow pages and i've given her it for overnight so keep her from chewing the furniture! she doesn't have loads but i do worry as she chomps it down, she doesn't just shred it and leave it!

i'm busy watching dog crates on ebay as i'd like to get one for her while she's inside (could be a few weeks) and i'm getting Roxy my foster bun spayed hopefully on Fri so she'll have to come in and sleep in there instead of keeping her outside after the op.

i'm know i've had a drink or two already tonight but i get so broody looking at everyone's bunnies!! especially Becky's white bun as her sig pic!! my boyf always goes " awwwww" when he sees it!

Back