• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit tantrums??

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Do anyone elses bunnies throw tantrums when they're wanting food/attention?

Kitt, I have noticed, flips his food bowl when it's empty... previously I used to put a few more pellets in but now I'm standing firm and cutting back - I've put a bowl of orchard, timothy and meadow hay in his bowl and sprinkled some mixed herbal garden in to it in the hope that he'll eat the hay to get to all the pieces... I also put hay in the litter tray as he loves to poop and graze (lovely). Jamie also throws tantrums but by chewing the bars on his cage...

I am SO excited though... the new happy hutch massive hutch arrived today, so we're going to put it up this weekend. I've a concern though... Jamie and Kitt are currently seperated by a metal divider (they're living indoor in large pens at the moment)...I had to seperate them because unbeknown to me my two gorgeous girls are actually two handsome boys (sexed incorrectly by first the pet shops, and then the vet) - so, when sexual maturity kicked in, they simultaneously humped each other. It has been nearly 2 weeks since they were neutered, and they had there first post neuter check on Wednesday and the vet is happy with their operation and the scars are fading and there's no swelling at all - in the few times I've put them together, supervised, they've cleaned each other - just like old times, then Kitt was start grunting and attempt to hump. Now I know his hormones are all over the place at the moment and it's the whole dominance issue again - but when should I ideally be moving them in to their new hutch together?

Lou xx

Marsha is hormonal, maybe its black lops lol.

you need to keep putting them together and keeping an eye on them.

how long is it since they were separated?

xx

Ideally when you put them together post-0p and there was no violence:)shock: :shock::) ) you could have kept them together then. The humping will continue until the dominance is sorted out and even then it will still happen from time to time anyway. So, I'd be inclined to put them together tomorrow and see what happens. Good luck, and keep us posted on developments!!

I would also suggest if they are happy together, leave them together as long as they can cope with each other when one is humping the other.

Before now Jamie used to just lay there and let Kitt hump him... but the past 2 days of letting them be together has seen Jamie attempt to make a dash for it... so I'm thinking Jamie is getting annoyed by it, and I'm worried he will eventually snap. I think Kitt is the dominant one - since Kitt started humping Jamie, Jamie hasn't tried to hump him - even before the neuter :?

lol i love it when they have tantrums! Peanut is the worst! he has a plastic food bowl, and when its empty he will pick it up and bang it on the ground til i fill it up again! and he throws his plastic igloos and toys around if hes in a mood!

Back