• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Bobbin Please - UPDATE

Thea & Bobbin

Warren Veteran
Bobbin's eye is still watering from the scratch on his cornier. He's been to the vets yesterday again for a check up and they say it's healing well.

But i'm still so worried as it's watering loads, especially tonight. I've applied the ointment but the fur around his eye looks as if it's wearing thin and I've read this can happen if it's wet a lot. He is well in him self and running around lots and eating fine. I know this is no way near as serious as some of the other problems bunny's on here have but it's really getting me down. I just want him to get better straight away so please send your vibes this way :(

I honestly don't know what I would do without this place! :)

Last edited:
Poor Bobbin, I had a scratched cornea myself and it's so sore. Optrex eyewash is good for sore eyes in animals and people.

Lots of vibes

FC

Thank you everyone for your vibes. It must have worked because Bobbin left eye has been completely better for the last week; totally dried up.

Now though his right one is watering! :shock: I've notice he shakes his head quite a bit then goes for a good ear scratch and I'm starting to wonder if the scratch on his left eye was self inflicted whilst scratching his ear and if he's now just done it again to the right.

Each time they have looked in his ears at the vets they have said they are fine.... very clean in fact. So what could it be?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated

xx

Aw, poor Bobbin :( Sorry that his other eye is giving him trouble. I can't be much help I'm afraid, but I do know how worrying it is when there is something wrong with them. Hope it's all better soon x

Yes, several times but only by looking in the mouth with a funny looking instrument. Do you think an x-ray is in order?

He is completely normal in himself so I doubt he is in pain.

Thanks Jane

Well my Vet usually says that its not possible to get a thorough look at a Bun's back teeth whilst they are awake. However, if Bobbin is eating and pooing well and his 'only' problem is a runny eye then I think I would wait and see how things go.
An X-ray of the skull will give some indication as to whether the tooth roots are elongated (and consequently pressing on the nasolacrimal duct causing runny eyes). But even if that were to be the case all the X-ray could do would be confirm it as there is no 'cure' for elongated tooth roots.

Sometimes ear mites are not obvious to the naked eye (via otoscope). Perhaps your Vet might consider treating Bobbin for ear mites if he is continuously scratching his ears

Janex

Thank you so much Jane. Excellent advice, as always.

I will see how it goes. He is due to be de-plumbed at the beginning of October. So if it doesn't get worse before then perhaps they could have a look at his teeth at the same time.

If his ear scratching persists I will have to take him in before the neutering.

Thea x

Hope Bobbin is feeling better, he is so bonny!

Barney had a weeping eye for ages which was treated as an infection/scratched cornea. As an optician I suspected a blocked tear duct and in fact the eye only stopped weeping after a bout of sneezing (which also worried me). I wonder if the sneezing actually cleared the blockage? I believe some rabbits are prone to blocked tear ducts independant of teething problems. If there is no sign of infection and the teeth are OK then Bobbin may have a blocked tear duct which may or may not right itself. I hope that the eye returns to normal soon.

Vanessa xx

Thanks Venessa, maybe he needs a sneeze then?! I shall suggest the blocked tear duct theory to the vet next time I go. On the other eye it was definitely a scratch because we could see it with the use of a dye and blue light. I hope this eye clears up too. I've hardly had him any time yet he has these problems and it worries me :(

Back