• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit unwell

Michelle

Warren Scout
i'm worried about my rabbit. ive got him in the house now and he just isnt himself. he's just sitting down but he's all hunched up, got no energy and just generally looks unwell. he is off his food aswell.

anyone got any ideas of what could be wrong??

Hey there!

Has your bun been moulting recently? It could have ingested a lot of fur and there could be a blockage.

When was the last time that he ate? Is he drinking?

XxXx

yes he is moulting a bit but only on his head.
he hasnt been eating properly for a few days but he has eaten bits, its only just now that he wont eat at all.

Is he on a pellet mix food? Do you have a syringe? To try and get some food into him I would soak the pellets and see if you could get some in. Have you tried all his favourite treats?

As he isn't eating at all and has not been eating properly for a few days I think it would be wise to get advice from a Vet.

XxXx

Sounds like he's in pain so he needs a vet - hope he's going to be OK as this can be an urgent situation and it's best to treat them when you first notice a change in eating habits, as this is a sign that their guts are slowing down. It won't wait till tomorrow either :(

I'd get him straight to the vet. I've had this happen to my bunny before and it turned out to be bloat which is serious and needs urgent treatment.

Hope he'll be OK.

Back