• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis control- WARNING sensitive subject) THURSDAY 23 August update

What is the best approach for the rabbits involved?

• Isolate and treat individual rabbits- euthanaise as necessary.

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • Euthanaise any rabbit showing symptoms

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Another approach (please give suggestion)

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

Adele

Warren Veteran
Dear All,

in view of the nasty Myxomatosis outbreak here in the Sanctuary, amongst vaccinated bunnies, I wondered how you felt about the following:

At first sign of Myxomatosis all rabbits were isolated and treated with SPOT ON to prevent spread by Fleas, and anti mosquito measures taken (well were already in place).
This seems to have slowed the spread of the disease, but new cases are still appearing.

Vet said there are two ways of trying to contain spread, and we opted for the isolating of rabbits, treating and euthanaising individual rabbits as and when necessary.
The other approach would be to have any rabbit showing symptoms immediately put to sleep to stop it spreading to other rabbits.
As we have 32 rabbits in residence, this may need a different approach than a rabbit keeper with just a couple of rabbits.

As things go on, and more and more bunnies become affected and suffer with nasty sores, bad eyes and kidney inflammation (which may or may not right itself, only time will tell), I am beginning to think it may be kinder to have any more new bunnies showing symptoms put to sleep, regardless of how severe their symptoms.
The fact is, we could end up with 32 rabbits infected at this rate, and the mortality rate will be high with rabbits already old and frail.
Whatever approach , it is utterly heartbreaking, but now that a third of the rabbits overall have been infected, I am beginning to think it is going to spread amongst the lot:( :(
I will dicuss this more in depth with our vet when we take Larkspur late today, but wanted to ask your opinions.
I know it is a very upsetting subject, and I am so sorry if it stirs up sad feelings amongst you lovely people. I am asking, as it may help others(especially rescues, or people who keep large numbers of bunnies as pets) if god forbid this disease continues to bypass the vaccines.

Thank you
Best wishes
Adele

Last edited:
I think it's entirely up to you, as you are the one having to do all the nursing, which is a full time job, and I'm sure it's very hard to see rabbits in such an awful state. I know that a vaccinated rabbit stands every chance of recovering eventually, but if your rabbits are already old and ill then they maybe don't have such a fighting chance.

In my own opinion I have always said that if any of my rabbits or rabbits in my care went onto develope full blown myxi I would have them PTS.

I have never been in this situation and pray I never will be but I do hope I could follow through on this sentiment if the time came.

I think the wisest words I have ever heard are 'just because you can do something dosnt mean you should'.....you need to weigh up the suffering through treatment against the longterm prognosis and likely success.

Adele, I'm terribly sorry about what's happened. I only hope that no more bunnies become infected :cry:

I have never been in this position myself, so can't really say what I would do in your situation. I think I would definitely PTS any infected unvaccinated rabbits, but I'm not really not sure about the vaccinated ones.

Do you have a wild rabbit population nearby? If so, it might not make much difference to PTS your own affected bunnies.

I know somebody who lives in the countryside who has had myxi in her vaccinated pet rabbits almost every year in recent times.

Amy :cry:

I think it's entirely up to you, as you are the one having to do all the nursing, which is a full time job, and I'm sure it's very hard to see rabbits in such an awful state. I know that a vaccinated rabbit stands every chance of recovering eventually, but if your rabbits are already old and ill then they maybe don't have such a fighting chance.

Thanks Elve:) I dont mind doing the nursing at all, it is simply my concern at what is best for the bunnies long term.
9 have now been infected, some are almost recovered, but quite a few have serious kidney problems despite the antibiotics etc.
The vet thinks some of the rabbits will have long lasting problems, as it seems to be a very severe strain attacking internal organs (aswell as the typical nodules) considering they are vaccinated:(

Is it possible to foster out the currently healthy rabbits to friends who do not have rabbits of their own?

In my own opinion I have always said that if any of my rabbits or rabbits in my care went onto develope full blown myxi I would have them PTS.

I have never been in this situation and pray I never will be but I do hope I could follow through on this sentiment if the time came.

I think the wisest words I have ever heard are 'just because you can do something dosnt mean you should'.....you need to weigh up the suffering through treatment against the longterm prognosis and likely success.

Hiya, some of the affected bunnies seem to be developing full blown type symptoms (ie Bobby, Snuggles) and these we have had put to sleep:(
Some of the bunnies only have one nose nodule and are bouncing back to health.
I think you are right suggesting we dont prolong treatment of bunnies with the more severe type in hopes they will recover, as chance are they will be the ones with long term problems:( .
It is hard deciding when to make the call...all of the bunnies are our family and mean the world to us, I would feel bad for not giving them a chance, but bad cause in giving them that chance they may suffer:(

Is it possible to foster out the currently healthy rabbits to friends who do not have rabbits of their own?

Some bunnies have already been fostered out to close friends.
We are monitoring their progress very carefully, and all are clear at the moment.

Hiya, some of the affected bunnies seem to be developing full blown type symptoms (ie Bobby, Snuggles) and these we have had put to sleep:(
Some of the bunnies only have one nose nodule and are bouncing back to health.
I think you are right suggesting we dont prolong treatment of bunnies with the more severe type in hopes they will recover, as chance are they will be the ones with long term problems:( .
It is hard deciding when to make the call...all of the bunnies are our family and mean the world to us, I would feel bad for not giving them a chance, but bad cause in giving them that chance they may suffer:(

Its a really tough call to make and I think its one of those situation where you never know how you will react until it happens, but at the same time I think its important that rescues, foster carers and people with large amounts of rabbits plan ahead so if the time ever comes there is already a protocol to follow with regards to treatment and quarantine.

Each bunny needs to be considered individually in my opinion and unless I had a house full of full blown myxi bunnies I would never euthanise all of them just on the off chance it may help a few that appear unaffected at that stage.

I think I'm right in saying you can tell within a fortnight whether or not they are going to recover?

God forbid that I should ever have to be in such a terrible situation but if I were and if all the Rabbits on site were well within 6 months of Vaccination I would go for the 'Isolation of infected Rabbit/Euthanase on a case by case basis.

Given that a Rabbit can have Myxo yet show no signs up to 4 days after infection I dont think Euthanasing as soon as symptoms are evident would necessarily control the outbreak :? The infected Rabbit may well have already infected others before any symtoms show up.

I would always PTS a non Vaccinated Rabbit as *personally* I dont think I could see a Rabbit suffer the horrors of full blown Myxo.
With already compromised Rabbits I would decided what to do (with Vets advice) on a case by case basis.

I am so very sorry this is happening Adele :cry: :cry:

Janex

Agree completely, years ago I had one rabbit catch Myxi and literally within 10 minutes of me spotting it it it was down the vets being PTS. I had the health of 30 - 40 other rabbits to consider and it wasn't worth risking their lives by trying to save another. Greater good and all that. I caught it so quick that none of my other rabbits caught it, thankfully.

A very wise sentance their Sooz, and one I truly believe in.

Good luck whatever you decide to do Adele.

I'm usually totally anti-pts unless absolutely necessary - but I can see how you would have to consider the remaining buns. I haven't voted cos I'm not sure what I would do in the circumstances. I think if I had one bun show symptoms, I would completely separate & treat, but if there were signs of others catching it, I may consider pts of all buns with signs - which is a horrific thought, but if we were talking the death of 2 buns against the death of all........I don't think i could ever watch it sweep through one after the other...

It's awful to even think about. I can't imagine what you are going through, & I hope there is some improvement soon.:cry:

I had one bunny with fully blown myxi (not vaccinated yet as I had only just got her), she was in the same room as my other bunnies for four days, then the first symptoms showed... I quarantined her immediately downstairs, had all the others vaccinated (as they weren't up to date at the time), also kept up with the homeopathic vaccinations. I nursed little Star for three weeks, but she didn't make it.

None of my other rabbits caught it, but would I nurse Star through again if I had the chance again? I am not sure, but I tend to think not! Although she seemed to be in good spirit until a couple of days before she died, I do feel now that it probably wasn't fair on her and maybe I should have had her put to sleep earlier!

So I have voted to separate, treat and euthanise if necessary, I managed to contain the disease that way, but it is really a very personal decision and I wouldn't blame you for doing this or euthanise at first signs!

Vera

after just nursing my bunny with myxi i really feel for you, 6 weeks on my phillippe is doing fine, but knowing when to make that call is so hard :(

adele

I am afraid I would pts as soon as they show any signs and I know people will think this is wrong but then at least you have a chance,

I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with this terrible disease. My two rabbits both contracted myxi last October. Millie only had 2 swellings and recovered without any problems apart from a bald patch where the large swelling was over her eye. Fergus on the other hand suffered badly - eventually his whole body was covered in swellings and scabs. As he had been vaccinated the vet kept saying give him a bit longer, and I did take this advice. However, after 6 long weeks of intensive nursing, he suddenly went very 'flat' and lost interest in everything so I made the hard decision to let him go peacefully. Looking back I do wonder whether I did the right thing by treating him for so long, and I also wonder what sort of condition he would have been in had he survived. I think you have to treat each case as an individual because rabbits react in different ways. Thinking of you.
Jane

I agree with Jane - I don't think eithenasing as soon as sympotoms appear would necessarily prevent further spread as they would have already be contagious. I would go with the first option of taking each bun on an individual basis and to separate all bunnies as far as possible to prevent spread.
Its very hard to say though, without being put in that situation.
I don't think there is anything you can do that is 100% right and effective - you can only do your best with the information you have available to you at the time. Its very difficult.
Do you know how long the disease can be harboured before symptoms appear?

Back