• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foldable indoor cage

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have an indoor cage where the metal part can be folded flat if not in use? Can dog crates be folded flat? I am looking for a cage that I can use in an emergency or when a bunny has to stay indoors for a night after an operation, etc.. Can you recommend something? Thanks.

Dog crates are perfect for that, I have one in my attic folded down just for emergencies

got mine off ebay

Dog crates fold flat :) Indoor rabbit cages sort of fold down - usually the two sides fold inwards and you can put the base inside the wire lid bit so it can be stored, but they are quite bulky. Dog crates fold down to the width and depth of the base, then probably 3-5" high
Or you could get a puppy pen if the bun isn't a jumper :) And use a waterproof picnic blanket underneath or similar

Yup as said dog crates fold flat, although do remember they are quite heavy to carry anywhere! Mines folded flat in the garage.
The other option is to get a playpen or two and they will fold flat and are easy to carry.

You can always borrow a normal indoor cage from me if you want to when Luna is neutered.

An pen like the one I use for pairing up would be ok for you. When they are indoors after neutering you shouldnt have a problem with them jumping over. It folds very flat for storing inbetween use.

Thanks for all the ideas and offers. :D

Janice, I thought it might be best to have a cage here permanently, for emergencies. I brought the bunnies in during that bad storm earlier this year, and if they have to stay over night, then I need something with a solid bottom tray and a lid. Snoopy loves to rip up the carpet. :rolleyes: I may also need a temporary home for your next client. :oops: ;) :D

Ebay have 1m cages for sale for £28 inc. delivery at the moment. The lid folds down and they are fine for emergency situations.

Have used the seller before and can recommend him.

Do you know the name of the seller? Or a link? I am thinking on keeping one of these for emergencys too and this seems a good price indeed!

At the moment I am leaning towards a dog crate with a strong plastic tray as base. That should be less heavy than a metal tray, and I could put in a stool or cardboard box and have enough height for the bunny to sit on top. Mine all love to sit on top of things.

i made a shelf to go in mine with a ramp up that Piper used to like to sit on. Have got one with a deep tray now tho coz they kept missing the litter tray and the wee was going up the wall and on the floor! So there's a dog crate going with a plastic base if you're interested. the shelf has now been transferred to the new cage without the ramp coz its lower so Piper just jumps straight up

A spare cardboard box in your house :shock: :?

I do get the odd cardboard box for myself and the bunnies, especially the smaller ones. :lol:

Pipstrel, thanks for the offer, but I am nowhere near Sheffield, so you would have to wrap and post the crate to me. Maybe someone in your area would like it, less work involved then. I think I'd rather have a flat bottom tray that does not take up so much room when I fold the crate. We don't have much storage space here and I already get into trouble for having hay and straw all over the place. :lol:

i got one from jollyes and it was £28.99..a nice deep grey plastic base and a foldable wire lid.
its a MONTANA 100 cage.
i cant even give away my dog crate with a plastic base not even to rescues!!
i cant sell my cgae used for wo weeks.heck id only want 4 bags of russell rabbit bedding in exchane..cant sell it for a tenner or give it away to the rescue!!
id go for the one with a plastic ase as dog crates need perspex etc aroubd the bottom to prevent hay..water...poos and flicked weees from getting everywhere!:lol:

Back