• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nose markings

Calling all bunnylovers! Someone mentioned a word to me some time ago referring to a white splodge on the nose tip of pets but for the life of me I can't remember what that word is. It refers especially to this little white mark on the nose, nowhere else. Does anyone know what I mean?

Calling all bunnylovers! Someone mentioned a word to me some time ago referring to a white splodge on the nose tip of pets but for the life of me I can't remember what that word is. It refers especially to this little white mark on the nose, nowhere else. Does anyone know what I mean?

Putty Nose

No thats definately the term - I breed butterfly marked rabbits for show so putty noses are the bane of my existence! LOL. The other name for it is smut noses?

Like this?

IMAG0395.jpg

Esther x

Edit: sorry just realized you said 'nose tip' sorry!!!! :oops:

Yep, Dillon is a blue butterfly but isn't show quality because of his little white mark. Can it be called broken butterfly or is that another colour?
dillonlittertray.jpg

Yes all of those 3 rabbits have 'putty' or 'smut' (not smutty just smut) noses.

It used to be that in the South they were called Butterflies (the correct term) and in the North they were called 'Brokens' - technically a Broken is a mismarked butterfly. However this has got anymore confusing since the broken mini rex has been introduced, as I think all of the Lop Clubs have banned the broken colour standard so that people can't start showing their mismarked butterflies as brokens. So what was previously called a broken can't be anymore, because you can't get Brokens in lops, it has to be callled a mismarked butterfly.

I've probably just confused all of you but just incase you wanted a bit of history on the terminology there it is!! :D

Yes all of those 3 rabbits have 'putty' or 'smut' (not smutty just smut) noses.

It used to be that in the South they were called Butterflies (the correct term) and in the North they were called 'Brokens' - technically a Broken is a mismarked butterfly. However this has got anymore confusing since the broken mini rex has been introduced, as I think all of the Lop Clubs have banned the broken colour standard so that people can't start showing their mismarked butterflies as brokens. So what was previously called a broken can't be anymore, because you can't get Brokens in lops, it has to be callled a mismarked butterfly.

I've probably just confused all of you but just incase you wanted a bit of history on the terminology there it is!! :D

Ahhh, so I was once correct, but not anymore :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back