• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Theory/thoughts on myxomatosis

Denny

Mama Doe
This is very odd and I am not sure if I was meant to find this as I was actually looking for a carrot soup recipe:lol: :lol:

Anyway, the Myxoma virus (which is the myxomatosis virus) belongs to the family of pox viruses, in particular the small pox virus, this is what is said regarding the smallpox virus -

(bear with me with this as it is rather long but hopefully you will see where I am coming from with this to see what people's thoughts on it are and whether it can help buns with myxi;) of course, I could be barking up the wrong tree though:lol: :lol: )

Transmission
Generally, direct and fairly prolonged face-to-face contact is required to spread smallpox from one person to another. Smallpox also can be spread through direct contact with infected bodily fluids or contaminated objects such as bedding or clothing. Rarely, smallpox has been spread by virus carried in the air in enclosed settings such as buildings, buses, and trains. Humans are the only natural hosts of variola. Smallpox is not known to be transmitted by insects or animals.
A person with smallpox is sometimes contagious with onset of fever (prodrome phase), but the person becomes most contagious with the onset of rash. At this stage the infected person is usually very sick and not able to move around in the community. The infected person is contagious until the last smallpox scab falls off.

This is not very dis-similar to the chicken pox virus regarding the scabs dropping off, high temperature etc and sounds very similar to symptoms to myxi buns, well I suppose it would as being as they are all related pox virus's:lol: :lol:

this is what I came across whilst looking for the soup recipe which is all about chicken pox but it has some interesting help factors further down by using vitamin E and honey to help the healing process :? :? for obvious reasons, the rabbit would have to be protected from flies and other insects that may be attracted to the honey but could these two items perhaps assist and soothe the healing of an infected myxi bun do you think?

I have left the recipe on for anyone else who wants it:lol: :lol:

Myxoma virus that belongs to the family of pox viruses

Statistics & Facts On Chicken Pox

Chicken Pox infects about three million children under the age of 15 each year. An infected child is contagious for one or two days before the rash appears and remains contagious until all of the lesions have dried up, which takes approximately five days. Children between the ages of twelve months and twelve years should get the primary Chicken Pox vaccination. A one time injection is all that is needed until the child reaches the age of thirteen. Then a Chicken Pox injection given twice at four months apart is recommended for the child that has never had the Chicken Pox Virus. Chickenpox, which occurs most often in the late winter and early spring, is very contagious, and if other family members become exposed to an infected child, about 80% to 90% of those in the household who haven't had chickenpox will get it.

Quite a few children suffer from the beginning symptoms of Chicken Pox which includes fever, stomach pain, and occasionally, a slight nauseated feeling. After two days the child will break out with a rash on the trunk, face and extremities that resembles an insect bite, then it develops into fluid filled blisters that break, and scab over. During this time the child will attempt to scratch the lesions which can leave permanent scars, so it is best to cut their fingernails and apply an anti-itch paste to the lesions.

Homemade Remedies for Chicken Pox

Most of these are aimed at relieving the itching that occurs from the Chicken Pox Virus, but a few help promote faster healing. It is thought that the cause of Chicken Pox comes from poor eating habits. Children that do not eat enough fruits and vegetables have a diminished defense mechanism necessary to fight off childhood illnesses.

Homemade Anti-Itch Paste

1 Tablespoon of Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon of Vinegar

Mix together to make a smooth paste. Smooth the paste onto the child's Chicken Pox lesions to stop itching and to promote the healing process.

Vitamin E Oil

The use of vitamin E oil is valuable in chicken pox. This oil should be rubbed on the skin. It will have a healing effect. The marks left by chicken pox will fade away by this application.

Honey

The use of honey as an external application has proved to be valuable in healing a child with the chicken pox virus. The skin should be smeared with honey. Cover the honey on the child with clean white cloths. It will help in the healing of the Chicken Pox Virus within three days.

Homemade carrot soup and coriander have been found to be beneficial in the treatment of chicken pox.

Recipe for Carrot Soup

1lb Carrots, chopped
1 Medium sized Potato, chopped
One yellow onion, chopped
Two Tablespoons of Coriander
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
Salt & Pepper to taste
Six Cups of water

Back