• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cigarette smoke??

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Liquorice has finally went for his holidays to my mums...he settled in fine, sniffing and exploring around...just his normal self actually - which is a relief.

But one of my main worries is my mum and her partner smoke - we do not. Liquorice isnt used to this type of air and im worrying whether it will be harmful to him??? They smoke quite a bit.

I cant ask my mum NOT to smoke in her own house, seeing as she has been kind enough to have Liquorice for two weeks and her house is upside down with 'bunny proofing' material etc.

I keep telling myself, 2 wks wont hurt....im a fusspot! Am i right to worry...will it have harmful affects???

2 weeks won't hurt :) He can have lots of healthy veg and fight off the smoke I'm sure - antioxidants in veg do that.

I personally dont agree to anyone smoking around any animal/child/non-smoker!
When I was trying to rehome my budgies last year I had someone very interested but I rrefuse because their partner smoked.

Maybe he'll be okay being near the floor? :rolleyes: Don't they always say, in the event of a fire, crawl on the floor as the air is clearer down there? And cigarette smoke always seemed to spiral and drift upwards... so it might not be a big problem for the bunny...

Personally I would not feel happy leaving my Bun in the care of anyone who smokes in the environment Bun would live in.
My best mates hubby has to stay in my garden in all weathers when they visit cos he can never be without a ciggie on the go !!
The fact that he has type 2 diabetes, raised cholesterol, raised BP and early heart disease does not appear to but him off smoking :?

Janex

Smokers are weird, though... All my friends started smoking whilst at college. And despite being intelligent girls, a few of them actually tried to tell me smoking won't increase their risk of throat or lung cancer... :?

Smoke irritates my eyes and I am also allergic to something in it. I just had to ask a builder this week not to smoke next to my foster bunny's hutch, because I don't want the bunny to feel uncomfortable. But you can't really tell your parents not to smoke in their own house. Maybe they can smoke when the bunny is not in the same room at least?

it'll be fine for such a short time and remember it won't be contant all the time. Sometimes they'll smoke outside cos the weather is good or in another room or the opposite side of the room. And also as someone already mentioned - he's low down so even better :D

I wouldn't be happy but I understand they need to stay there. Could bun be in a different room from where they smoke? I think its double bad for pets/buns as they inhale it plus when they groom they are licking it off their coats :( Hope you come to some agreement so you don't need to worry! :)

Failing that, could you just ask her to make sure the room where the bun is is well ventilated?

So I take it that cigarette smoke is NOT toxic to bunnies? My husband and I have parrots, and my understanding is that it is toxic to birds. So, while many of us - myself included - don't like the idea of our bunnies inhaling cigarette smoke, it's not TOXIC, right?

Michelle

So I take it that cigarette smoke is NOT toxic to bunnies? My husband and I have parrots, and my understanding is that it is toxic to birds. So, while many of us - myself included - don't like the idea of our bunnies inhaling cigarette smoke, it's not TOXIC, right?

Michelle

in large doses yes it is toxic. Just look at the ingrediants in a cigerette...It's toxic to everything! But the effects aren't instant it's a slow toxin that takes several months to start showing. Not sure how long it takes in buns and birds or whatever but still toxic.

Buns should be ok for two weeks if they HAVE to be. Not ideal but so few things in this life are.
They're low to the floor
the smoking shouldn't be happening around them 24/7

Michelle

Parrots are very delicate - I've read that just using non-stick cooking pans for the first time the fumes can kill them :shock:

Like Jayms FA said - cigarette smoke is toxic - period. But our bodies (and rabbit's bodies) eliminate toxins if they aren't overwhelmed by them and if our immune system is healthy. 2 weeks exposure isn't going to hurt, but it's definitely a quesion I wish I'd asked when rehoming my guinea pigs - never even occured to me.

Parrots are very delicate - I've read that just using non-stick cooking pans for the first time the fumes can kill them :shock:

Yes, they are...and I have heard the same thing about Teflon, so we gave away ALL our Teflon-coated pots and pans and bought a new set without it. FYI, there is Teflon in microwave popcorn bags, too! :shock:

Smokers are weird, though... All my friends started smoking whilst at college. And despite being intelligent girls, a few of them actually tried to tell me smoking won't increase their risk of throat or lung cancer... :?

Hey :lol: I smoke and im not wierd :p I know exactly what smoking will do to me and dont smoke around children, animals or non smokers :D

I would be cheeky and ask my mum not to smoke (if she was a smoker :lol: ) around them if she was watching them, I would ask her to smoke out a window or something :lol: But I dont think my mum would mind me asking something like that :D

i'd say it depends on how much they smoke. If they both have 60 a day habbits you bun could get really uncomfortable, in which case perhaps you could ask them to smoke in one room or outside, away from the rabbit. If they only have 1 or two a day each I'd say don't rock the boat.

Back