• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House rabbits move outside?....

bexwillis

New Kit
Hi there - I'm new to this forum but have a bit of a problem that I thought you might be able to help with.

We have two large-ish dwarf lop bunnies who are 3 years old and have been house buns ever since we bought them. They do like to go out in the garden when it's cool but sunny though and lounge about. The problem is they live in our kitchen, and we have got to a point where we are worried about the fluff and poo content of our kitchen (they wee in the cage but are not so good with poo). I am expecting a baby in Feb, and also we looked at a new house yesterday where they would not be able to live in the kitchen (not big enough) and we wouldn't want them living in another room because of the baby and the mess (currently on vinyl floor, would have to be in a room with brand new cream carpets).

I don't want to have to rehome them as I love them to bits, but wondered whether you can (without stressing them out too much) move house buns outside? I'd have to get them a big hutch with run as they're used to just being shut up in the kitchen loose, not being caged. The garden at the new place isn't massive, so it might have to be a couple of storeys or so to save space.

Or we could convert the shed?

What do you think, and sorry this was such a long post, but I'm in a bit of a flap about this at the mo!

Thanks - Bex :?

There shouldn't be any problem with moving them outside - I had to do the same myself. Just don't move them when there will be an extreme change in temperatur - during the summer would be a good time :D
Converting the shed is an excellent plan - if you add a cat flap with an attatched run to one side it is even better!

I am soooo glad to hear this!! Phew!! If converting the shed isn't going to work out, do know anywhere you could recommend to get a space saving but nice and big (ie. small footprint but large) outside hutch and run in one?

Thanks - Bex :)

Ryedale hutches do some nice sized multi-storey ones, which take up less ground space but give the buns up and down space, and even an attic. They made Mango and Chutney one for (the rare occasions!) when they go out to play, and also made us a run to go with it, to our specifications.

They're very not cheap, but very helpful and happy to make what you want, if you can't see what you want on their website. Their link is below, but I'm sure other people know other Companies as well.

http://www.rehutches.com/

I moved my house bunnies outside when I rescued a load of guinea pigs - best not to do it in midwinter though as they won't have time to get used to the cold. I got hutch over run from happyhutch - self assembly but good for the money. A shed's nicer though as you don't get wet cleaning out, and can put a patio chair in there and sit with them - very peaceful if you have children! :)

Things to look for are minimum 2'x5' (60cm x 150cm) double hutch or hutch over run (the stairs take up too much room in a smaller hutch)
tongue and groove - plywood gets soaked

Thanks everyone, this is giving me lots of ideas, and making me feel a lot happier! But I think I need to crack on and get the boys outside soon while the weather is warmish so it's less of a shock to them.

Do you think it's best to buy a hutch/run combo ready-made or worth asking a friend (who's built sheds before) to build one? The prices on the ebay HappyHutch type hutch/run look very reasonable - I would have thought you'd struggle to buy materials for a lot less money?

Thanks, and please keep ideas coming!

Bex :)

Thanks everyone, this is giving me lots of ideas, and making me feel a lot happier! But I think I need to crack on and get the boys outside soon while the weather is warmish so it's less of a shock to them.

Do you think it's best to buy a hutch/run combo ready-made or worth asking a friend (who's built sheds before) to build one? The prices on the ebay HappyHutch type hutch/run look very reasonable - I would have thought you'd struggle to buy materials for a lot less money?

Thanks, and please keep ideas coming!

Bex :)

I don't think you'd be able to make one cheaper than the happy hutch ebay one- it is very good value and would cost a lot more in the shops...and even on their own official website it is a lot more.

www.happyhutch.com

This guy does not live to far from me but he sells his on ebay, I am getting him to ship me one of these next week. Will it be big enough for a pair of bonded rabbits to play in? They will be in the house evenings and nights and cold days.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RABBIT-HUTCH-AND-RUN-HUTCHES-CAGE-RUNS_W0QQitemZ300140491159QQihZ020QQcategoryZ63513QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hmmm i think it's too small really. It is only 18" deep and 18" high so not tall enough for them to stand up in, and with the space that the ramp hole takes up there won't be much space.

The RSPCA reccomend a hutch about 5 x 2ft, or 6 x 2ft with attached run 6 x 4ft.

Also, you need to be careful bringing rabbits into a warm house when it is cold outside, as it could cause them to lose their winter coat, so when they go back outside they won't cope very well with the weather.

Thanks everyone! I'm now leaning towards the idea of converting a shed - well, getting a shed built for the boys by my Dad and his mate who seem confident!

I spoke to someone who suggested drilling holes in the outer walls for a bit of ventilation (but not opposite each other so they create a draught) and putting vinyl down on the floor for easy cleaning. Any other considerations? They would be let out loose in the garden when the weather's ok (our garden's nice and secure and they're used to that).

Also, any recommendations on size to build for 2 good sized dwarf lops? We could add an extra level to help with space - as I need to try and avoid creating a massive footprint for this bunny home - if we get the new house, the garden isn't as big!

Any thoughts/advice thankfully received!

A 6 x 4 shed is fine for two buns, espcially if more levels are built inside for them. If you have the space though, it may be worth getting one slightly bigger :)

Hmmm i think it's too small really. It is only 18" deep and 18" high so not tall enough for them to stand up in, and with the space that the ramp hole takes up there won't be much space.

The RSPCA reccomend a hutch about 5 x 2ft, or 6 x 2ft with attached run 6 x 4ft.

Also, you need to be careful bringing rabbits into a warm house when it is cold outside, as it could cause them to lose their winter coat, so when they go back outside they won't cope very well with the weather.

My Last rabbit had the run of the house so this was never an issue LOL

Thanks everyone! I'm now leaning towards the idea of converting a shed - well, getting a shed built for the boys by my Dad and his mate who seem confident!

I spoke to someone who suggested drilling holes in the outer walls for a bit of ventilation (but not opposite each other so they create a draught) and putting vinyl down on the floor for easy cleaning. Any other considerations? They would be let out loose in the garden when the weather's ok (our garden's nice and secure and they're used to that).

Also, any recommendations on size to build for 2 good sized dwarf lops? We could add an extra level to help with space - as I need to try and avoid creating a massive footprint for this bunny home - if we get the new house, the garden isn't as big!

Any thoughts/advice thankfully received!

I'm assuming a shed would have a window as you can't keep them in the dark, so why not just replace the glass with cage mesh and put mozzie mesh over the inside of it, and a see through shower curtain hooked on outside for when it rains?

Thanks for all replies - I've made a decision as I'm worried that time is of the essence with the weather and all that jazz.

So, I've ordered one of those 'Massive' jobs off ebay for now (thanks for the suggestion), and may work on the shed idea at a later date depending on how the boys get on with the ebay jobbie.

Watch this space ...

Thanks! Bex :)

Back