• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

gimmick or good item

Denny

Mama Doe
With so much new rabbit treats and foods etc coming on the market, is there any you feel are just a money making gimmick or are they actually beneficial to a rabbits health etc.

I personally feel that the new panacur paste is a waste of money. I now cannot see the point in worming unless you have a problem with worms in the first place. I can understand to an extent using it as a preventative EC measure but how do you know that the bun hasn't already got EC in the first place in which the 9 day preventative will not cure it anyway:? :? It would take me 3 tubes to do my 2 buns according to their dosage calculator so it would be more cost effective to buy a 100ml bottle of the liquid panacur:roll:

The naturals range - while some of the ingredients are good for rabbits, alot of it contains egg (which is a no no for buns so everyone reads) and only a certain amount or time is allowed for rabbits, so again, is this a gimmick or actually good for rabbits I ask myself:? :?

Anyone else have anything they feel is a 'gimmick' in the rabbit world?

Hiya Denny:wave:
There are quite a few things being sold I consider to be gimmicks.
Eg Avipro, when Natural live yogurt contains more live friendly bacteria and also helps gut movement.
Recovery food to some extent, as if you add hot water to dried pelleted rabbit food that has more or less the same content(as long as bunnies normal food is high fibre to begin with)..but if not , you can feed yogurt separately to help keep the guts of a poorly bunny moving.
These are just my personal opinions, I do not wish to be critical of the products as they do have there place.

The naturals range - while some of the ingredients are good for rabbits, alot of it contains egg (which is a no no for buns so everyone reads) and only a certain amount or time is allowed for rabbits, so again, is this a gimmick or actually good for rabbits I ask myself:? :?

Yeh I thought that when I seen it!! I wouldn't buy any of it myself, the herb stuff is ok as that is just herbs but only the ones that don't have funny names! :lol: :lol:

Another gimmick I think are the expensive cleaning stuff they sell in some pet stores, £4 for a spray?! No thanks, I uy dynamite and dilute it, lasts forever! :lol:

Plastic toys - I got Audrey one of those dumbell things and she ignores it.

Mine don't like plastic toys either... get much more fun out of the cardboard box!!! They do like anything chewable though and it does save the hutch being chewed!

I don't really bother with much of the natural "treats" - the food my rabbits go mad for the most is plain old simple grass... and I've plenty of that going for free :D healthy and natural :D

I have to agree about the worming as a routine!

I too only buy the herb pack out of the natural range, can't believe what is actually in some of it :shock: :roll:

I owned my first rabbit when I was 12 and we didn't vaccinate, worm him, we fed him russell rabbit food, no hay, he wouldn't eat veg or grass, but we gave him treats like rich tea biscuts etc... and he didn't have a thing wrong with him and lived to a good age of 9. :oops: :oops: All this was before I was a bit more educated, but I do question if we go over the top a bit!

most of the toys none of my bunnies 'play with' but they do jump around them and push them out the way etc, however...pebbles (my latest) was headering the ball around the run and thenc hasing it and pounching on it! itsa one of those yellow balls with the carrots on it!

The thign i saw which has gotta be a gimmick, was carrot drink 'full of vitamin c' in p@h!!! i think water to drink..and fresh vegs is alot more benficial...plus i cant see any rabbit wanting it???

very interesting replies and I am wondering whether we are over indulging in products to line others pockets as they say:lol: as well as thinking we are treating our rabbits to only the best:lol: :lol:

It is also interesting what norrielian has said as I was talking to Jilly about her mates buns who doesn't get any treats, has the cheap mix and fed on scraps of veg's (compared to all us lot that buy them especially for our buns) and they never seem to be in the vets:? :lol: :lol:

The carrot juice also stumps me as it is easier to give them a carrot and I thought vitamin c was a g/piggy requirement more than rabbits so not sure in what way it aids a rabbits health:? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree we can overindulge them defiently. I also had rabbits when I was younger who were not spoilt, but still had a good life, and they lived to a good age.

For Audrey the only 'treats' I now think are worth buying are willow balls and sea grass mats as chewing things is her greatest joy.

And I think treat balls are a good idea :thumb:

Yep, I only really buy willow balls for the bunnies - can't afford to treat them constantly! They also get willow sticks routinely and toilet rolls stuffed with hay... treat balls are great, I've never know a bunny to ignore one (as long as it has pellets inside :lol:)
Another good money saver (if you have a few rabbits) is those bags of 100 balls for kids' ball pools - everybun here has a couple - and they do nudge them around :D
I don't bother with any food treats, as the fruit and veg serves the same purpose at a fraction of the price and are much healthier (in moderation, of course)
- oh, and I add burns herbal blend to the hay of house bunnies, but mostly cos it makes them smell so good :oops: :oops: :lol:

Deej doesn't get any bought/bunny treats, as to him any fruit or veg (or anything edible) is a treat! So I don't see the point.

I think most pet toys I've bought Deej have been wasted! The only things he really likes are his treat ball and his tent, (he did enjoy he grassy mat and the willow balls from PaH though)! I bought him some lovely willow balls online and he barely touched them :roll:

Rabbit litter trays always seem a rip of to me, as I rarely hear anyone say their bunny will actually use a corner tray, and cat litter trays (the cheap ones from places like Wilkinsons) are so much cheaper and more readily available!

Rabbit litter trays always seem a rip of to me, as I rarely hear anyone say their bunny will actually use a corner tray, and cat litter trays (the cheap ones from places like Wilkinsons) are so much cheaper and more readily available!

I have to say the bunny corner trays have been wonderful for me!!! Both Ruds and Soph use theirs and both have peed over the side of the normal ones!! :)

Corner ones work fabulously for my guineas, dirty moos :censored:

Has anyone seen the treats that are supposed to make the buns poos smell nicer?? I couldn't quite believe that this will actually work and if it does - what is it actually doing to their insides??

I use the corner trays too, he never wees over the top of them. In fact, as I was reading this thread he went and hopped in it :D

corner litter trays have been really useful in our house, as i have one in every corner for lola

i find though that most of my bunnies ignore rabbit toys such as the dumbells. i bet if i collected up all the toys i'd bought over the last 4 years, i'd have a cardboard box full of plastic toys that have mostly been ignored, although mine go mental for seagrass mats, cardboard houses & willow balls.

its much cheaper to give them toilet roll middles, and empty paper bags than buy bunny toys i find. in fact, this morning frida was tossing a tampax box (complete with tampax :oops: ) around in the bathroom :oops: and i can guarantee if it was a special bunny box to throw then she would have ignored it completely :lol:

Has anyone seen the treats that are supposed to make the buns poos smell nicer?? I couldn't quite believe that this will actually work and if it does - what is it actually doing to their insides??

Yes, I've seen them and I wondered the same thing too :( My bun is indoors and I can't say he smells much, so I don't know why they would be necessary anyway!

in fact, this morning frida was tossing a tampax box (complete with tampax :oops: ) around in the bathroom :oops: and i can guarantee if it was a special bunny box to throw then she would have ignored it completely :lol:

When my dog was a puppy, he would go upstairs when we were all out and fish tampons out of my mums wardrobe, take them downstairs and chew them up in the hall :lol: They would puff up where they were wet from him chewing them. :lol: :lol: He chewed up a sanitary towel once too!

Back