• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can Cats cause any probs to rabbits?

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
My kitten Oscar keeps going and lying in the bunny room.. he doesnt hurt them at all and they arent really too bothered by him being there. Im aware that he could pass on fleas and things like that but he will be regularly treated for fleas and worms so hopefully wont be a problem. However.. i just caught him using their litter tray for a wee! :shock: I immediately cleared it out and refilled their tray and they have gone back in it to use it so they arent bothered but im just wondering if he does it and i dont realise if there are any risks if they sat in it or worse still if he pooed in there.. although im pretty sure id find that easily enough.. bit bigger than bunny poop!! :shock: :lol:

I wouldn't have thought so. None of the cats here have caused any problems and so as long as he is treated regularly it should be fine :) x

I'm not sure but if the cat pees in the hay it may cause problems...
We've had that problem at school one day that one of the farm-cats got into the storage room where the hay is stored, and peed in it:shock:
It didn't affect the bunnies luckily but two of our guinea pigs died, and it was beileved to be because of the bad hay:cry:

I'm not sure about the danger aspect, but Audrey occassionally uses Worm cats litter tray :shock: It always amuses me, she must know it's not her one :lol:

Just be careful if the kitten wants to play with the buns - a cat scratch on a bunny's eye is a dangerous (not to mention expensive) thing!

My cat used to seek out the rabbit litter boxes, and the bunnies would prefer the cats, but I changed their set ups after reading that there is a parasite, toxoplasmosis that most cats have which doesn't hurt them, but that can infect and kill rabbits. The cat poo would have to be injested from an effected cat by the bun, and I think it happens uncommonly in cat/rabbit households, but you may want to take precautions.

Back