• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Broken nail, can anyone advise?

lynda_m

Warren Veteran
I've just been giving Bertie a cuddle, and he made a leap...

He seems to have ripped the nail off of the inside of his left from paw, doesn't seem to be in any pain but it is bleeding and the nail seems to be loose...

What do I do?? Is he going to be ok?

He'll be fine :)

If the nail is loose but not off then he may need to see a vet and have it removed or clipped right back. It will regrow normally.

If it's bleeding a lot, hold him and apply pressure until it stops.

They do bleed quite a bit and it looks bad cause they trial it around so don't worry.

Tam

If you have a styptic pencil then that would help to stop the bleeding. Its quite an unusual thing to have though! I got one from boots, its a man's shaving thing that they use if they cut themselves shaving. I have one just incase I ever cut a vessel while clipping my bunny's claws :shock:

Thanks Tamsin, there doesn't seem to be any more blood now he's happily playing with his friends now.

Will have a closer look at him later and then if it's hanging off we'll get him to the vets tomorrow.

Glad he's going to be ok, I just saw the blood and paniced!!

Aww, he'll be fine :) It's even more impressive when they start foot flicking and spray it up the walls. You wouldn't think a toe nail could make such a gory mess!

Tam

Hiya Lynda.... Bob, my FOSTER *cough cough* has just ripped another one of his off, I have no idea how but he's lost 2 claws off the same foot in about 2 months. Pressure stopped the blood the first time and I used salt water to bathe it, its started to grow back now and it actually looks straighter than before. The second one must have happened a few days agon I didnt know about it til a minute ago, but its healing fine. I wouldnt worry, I'm sure your boy willl be ok.:wave:

Thanks guys, my big fat fluffy boy seems ok now, I just paniced at the sight of the blood... Donna... Bob your *cough cough* foster eh ;) :lol:

Back