• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

turning her over

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
My rabbit Sorrel has a scar from abscess surgery under her chin which I'm meant to check regularly to make sure its not altered/worsened in any way.

The only way you can get a proper look at it is by turning her onto her back. (she has too many neck folds!) The vet does this when he checks the scar when she's in for her vaccinations and she goes into her weirdy trance for a bit and you can examine it closely without her writhing about.

When I try it, as soon as I get her onto her back, she just kicks and wriggles till she's upright again. Is there a special technique that I'm not using?! I'd really like to examine her with minimum stress and bother to check she's healthy without unduly upsetting her!

You could maybe try doing it whilst having her wrapped in a towel/blanket which just leaves her head exposed. When i turn my wriggler over i hold their front paws up towards their face and if your hand is big enough (my rabbits are only small) I use my thumb to hold their paws and put the rest of my hand over their head/eye sort of area to calm them. Rest them on your other arm like a baby and gently lift her chin. Its hard to explain in words, easy to show you if was nearby. Hope you can get a look. The other option is to stand her up on her back feet and get someone else to have a look whilst you hold her if she wont lay down for you ;)

what i do is sit on the floor with my legs out straight and the rabbit on my lap. then i pick her up under her forearms so she is verticle with her legs hanging. then slowly i tip her back so she is lying on her back, it send her into a trance and it works everytime. hope that helps.

the trick is to get her head lower than her feet, talk to her gently while doing it and keep a firm hold - be very gentle and slow you will see her head fall back and usually they show their teeth as their mouth relaxes.... then she will be in a trance :)

I would advise doing it as people have suggested, you don't want to wrap her up if you don't have to but if she really doesn't stop kicking you could try The Bunny Burrito!

Once wrapped up you can then turn her over gently, as long as the towel is firm enough she won't be able to wriggle out

My rabbit's not normal he'll let me do it to him no problems and even toothy purrs when I stroke his head whilst he's being cradled like a baby :lol:

Back