• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks? What do they look like???

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Liquorice has a tiny patch of pink skin showing through the fur on the bottom of his back foot...maybe a couple of millimetres in diameter.

Is this sore hocks? Ive never seen what this condition looks like.

He i a rex, and i have read that this breed is prone to sore hocks.

He is walking and cleaning normally...what do u think?

Anyone got any photos so i can compare?

I do know that rexes are prone to sore hocks, but i have never owned one. I know it's normal for buns to have a small patch of pale pink skin under the fur on their back feet. Sore hocks is when it's red and angry and I think it causes the bun to limp. I am sure someone who has first hand experience of it will be along shortly. It's definitely been discussed on here before so someone will be able to help. Good luck...

I have a foster bun here with them. They are red & angry like Wizbit says. I saw the vet, but he gave me some cream. I have found aloe vera seems to have worked better though - although I've run out & am using sudocrem at the minute - but although they haven't gone, they are loads better.

He was never visibly in pain or anything, but they did look sore.

My own rex doesn't get them, but I have an English spot I'm keeping an eye on at the minute:roll: They are pink spots, but not blistery like Colin's looked

Edited to add: Colin is on rubber matting at present, but my own bun is on laminate. If his get worse, I'm buying more mats:D

Picture653-1.jpg

:cry:

Janex

Back