• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt/recovery

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
Gisomo has recovered a lot in the last few days from his loss of balance and has gone from spending most of his time lying on his side and spinning round to spending most of the day on his feet.
However .. the one thing that hasn't shown any sign of improvement is the head tilt itself. He holds his head completely twisted round to one side, although he san straighten it up to eat, but then it naturally falls back to the side.

I wondered what othe people had experienced with head tilt and how long it had taken for them to see an improvement. Is there anything with regaurds to excercise etc that I can do to help him?
What are the chances that it will not improve and he will be left with permanent problems?

Gisomo has recovered a lot in the last few days from his loss of balance and has gone from spending most of his time lying on his side and spinning round to spending most of the day on his feet.
However .. the one thing that hasn't shown any sign of improvement is the head tilt itself. He holds his head completely twisted round to one side, although he san straighten it up to eat, but then it naturally falls back to the side.

I wondered what othe people had experienced with head tilt and how long it had taken for them to see an improvement. Is there anything with regaurds to excercise etc that I can do to help him?
What are the chances that it will not improve and he will be left with permanent problems?

I think some Buns are left with a permanent headtilt. I know a Bun who has had a severe one for 6 years!! He copes perfectly well and can eat, drink, run about with his friends etc.
The Buns I have had here with headtilt have all fully recovered over a period of 2-3 months. Although one was left with a very, very slightly wonky head.

I think encouraging Gizmo to move about as normal will help. It may not resolve the headtilt but will allow his CNS to adapt. I am really pleased to hear that he has improved a lot since becoming poorly

Janex

Thanks Jane.
He has made a lot of progress since first becoming ill. Its just distressing to see him with his head so mis-alligned. But if improvements can take several weeks or months then that's reassuring.

Thanks Jane.
He has made a lot of progress since first becoming ill. Its just distressing to see him with his head so mis-alligned. But if improvements can take several weeks or months then that's reassuring.

The Bun I know thats had a bad headtilt for 6 years may look a sorry sight but he is really happy, loves his food and is as active as any 'normal' Bun.
Even if Gismo is left with a permanent 'tilt' I am sure he will cope very well as his brain will adapt to receiving 'sight messages' from a different angle. He may look wonky but wont 'feel' wonky !! :D

Janex

Back